Raw eggs in food?

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by MandyRae, Feb 18, 2018.

1. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

I wouldn't feed any weight-bearing bones of large mammals (including cows, sheep, pigs, horses...) because of the risk of teeth breaking.

CMartin likes this.
  2. Anne123

Anne123 Registered Users

Finn gets a boiled egg every sunday. He is extra careful with it, and seem to ‘play’ with it until it breaks. When I am cooking and need only egg white he will get the yolk on his kibble. He loves that too. We can’t get passed him or ignore him when I boil eggs. He guards the egg, until he has got it. It needs to cool, but how can you tell him that he has to wait until he can eat it....?

3. Anne123

Anne123 Registered Users

Finn doesn’t get any bones, I think he doesn’t even know how to deal with it. Also the risk of teeth breaking..! I was told when we got our first lab (12 years ago) not to give him a bone for labs are gentle in their mouths. When you want to hunt this is important?

CMartin likes this.
  4. Karen

Karen Registered Users

Raw from the supermarket.

I also feed raw whole sardines and sometimes salmon head or tails, depending on availability.

CMartin likes this.
  5. Karen

Karen Registered Users

Dogs know how to differentiate. They love to chew and chomp on raw bones, but that doesn't translate to chewing on a dummy. The risk of teeth breaking is real if you give weight bearing bones (such as cow, pig or lamb leg bones), but softer bones such as ribs are fine.

I bet if you gave Finn a raw chicken wing or thigh he would soon work out what to do with it!

CMartin, drjs@5 and selina27 like this.
  6. CMartin

CMartin Registered Users

I wouldn't give a puppy big bones (such as cow femur like I mentionned above) but I gave Leão (my previous adult lab) bones of these every now and then (when I was able to get them from the butchers which is not that easy). He never broke a tooth, but I see the risk I guess.

7. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

The raw meaty bones are excellent for keeping our dogs teeth clean too.

Lilly gets eggs too - which is why she was so rubbish at "the egg challenge" outside :D

CMartin, snowbunny and SwampDonkey like this.
  8. Shaz82

Shaz82 Registered Users

Maisy gets a raw egg for breakfast sometimes or if we have been out and it is too soon to give a proper meal. She also likes them hard boiled which I break up and put on her kibble to encourage her to eat it.

I asked the vet once whether to give a dog a whole egg with the shell as I heard they like crunching it, he said 'why on earth would you want to?'. Now after reading all these posts I will definitely try this, it will be fun to see what she does with it. Also we used to give egg shells back to our chickens because they contain calcium, so good for them too.