Raw Hide and Bully Sticks

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by Aleeta, Aug 13, 2017.

1. Aleeta

Aleeta Registered Users

We just got a Lab puppy and he is now 12 weeks old. Last night he ate a whole 8" raw hide stick... It was hard, not soft. He acted strange, then threw it up an hour later. Today he is acting very tired and not his happy hyper self. Should I be worried? He threw up the whole raw hide.

2. Boogie

Boogie Supporting Member Forum Supporter

I would pop him to the vet just in case.

Hope he's back to his usual self soon xx

3. Snowshoe

Snowshoe Registered Users

He might be injured internally, an 8" rawhide is awfully big to come up whole in such a young puppy. You aren't seeing blood at either end are you? Not meaning to be alarmist, and I'm not a run to the Vet at the first thing type, but, wow, that would be a big upchuck for my adult dog. At the very least his little baby tummy muscles got a work out.

I don't give those things to chew anyway, precisely because of how fast the one and only went down. But have you seen the Facebook thing going around about all the chemical treatment the rawhides go through in manufacture? Here's one from Dr. Karen Becker's site:

http://www.dogsnaturallymagazine.com/rawhide-dangerous-for-dogs/

4. charlie

charlie Registered Users

Definitely a vet visit. Hope he will be OK. xx

5. Ski-Patroller

Ski-Patroller Cooper, Terminally Cute

Did he eat the whole stick in one piece, or did he chew it into pieces? We use rawhide rolls occasionally but our dogs chew them up in to smaller pieces. We have never had a problem with them.

6. QuinnM15

QuinnM15 Registered Users

Quinn as a puppy (probably around 6 months old) took a giant rawhide chew from another dog and gulped it down in a couple large pieces before I could get to her...she threw it up over the course of the night and was fine afterwards. I would call the vet and ask for advice though, as your puppy is pretty young.