Rawhide chews

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by karen reid, Apr 21, 2014.

1. karen reid

karen reid Registered Users

Hi, I've been reading some posts that have been saying folk give their puppy's raw hide chews. I have heard these aren't good for puppies. In fact I had taken one into the vets with Murphy when he went to get his second injection recently, and the vet took it off me and said not to give to him. I've thrown them out now, but Murphy enjoyed the couple he had before the vet said no to them!!

I'd love to hear your thoughts on the chews.

Karen xxxx

2. lynnelogan

lynnelogan Registered Users

Re: Rawhide chews

i have no experience, jasper is my first dog,...murphy is only young to be giving him chews,
    listen to your vet, she will have the best advice :)
    jasper is 16 month, i do give him bones, pigs ears ect,....when he was a baby we only gave him his food and toys :)

3. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Well, apparently the issue with rawhide chews is that they might bite off too large a bit and get it stuck in their throats or somewhere down the intestinal tract (rawhide is apparently not that easily digested).... The idea is that you are supposed to supervise them when they are eating this kind of thing. To be honest, though, almost anything they put in their mouths could be a choking risk....

Obi often gets rawhide chews (the kind that are knotted in the shape of a bone) although he takes his time working through them (weeks). However he is two years old. He is not supervised with them but he doesn't chew off large bits, only tiny bits.

I personally would give a rawhide chew to a puppy but I'd keep an eye on them. The ones that are whole pressed bones (not the knotted or flat ones) are better as it's harder to break off chunks. Plenty of people would not do that though - it's one of those things that people are 'for' or 'against' :)

4. Dexter

Dexter Moderator Forum Supporter

Can't help,Karen sorry,my dog is my first dog ,he's at 20 months old now.hes only ever had toys and stuffed kongs to chew on....I'm the biggest scaredy cat in the world though ,he's never had a bone and I'm pretty sure he never will because I'm so scared of choking :-[ irrational and a little bit mean I know :-[ :-[ :-[ as Rachael is correct they can choke on anything if they get it down the wrong way and you aren't there with them...
    Rawhide would have upset Dex's tum too though I'm sure ( she says trying to make herself feel better ;)...bet a bone would too ;D ::) )

5. Edp

Edp Registered Users

My pup has them but only supervised. She does not have enough strength (yet) to chew anything off them. She more sort of makes them soggy. She only gets them for distraction when super chewy. :)

6. Penny+Me

Penny+Me Registered Users

I always give penny rawhide chews but I have found the ones that are a bone shape with like a knot at each end can come apart very easily so could be a choking risk (after pulling a few out of penny's mouth I should know!) so now I opt for the ones that are just a long stick shape as not much to break off.

Something similar to, and in my opinion better than, rawhides are pizzles. They are a bit more expensive but last much longer, even for a smaller size and don't break up like a rawhide chew.

7. Oberon

Yes, pizzles are definitely better. A fantastic edible chew, low in fat, tasty (apparently), long lasting (relatively) and safe.

8. Penny+Me

Just grossed out my OH when I told his what they were made of - especially when you see the 14 inch long ones ;)

9. Dexter

Dexter Moderator Forum Supporter

[quote author=Penny+Me link=topic=5518.msg69778#msg69778 date=1398063686]
    Just grossed out my OH when I told his what they were made of - especially when you see the 14 inch long ones ;)
    [/quote]
    Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha spat my tea out!

10. Oberon

LOLOLOLOL ;D They are called Bully Sticks here in Oz. You get the occasional one that makes its origins quite obvious.... Awesome chew though :) For the dog :eek:

11. Penny+Me

Yea my manager used to rave about them, apparently they were quite popular in the US - she used to work in pitbull rescue over there. I had never heard of them until she mentioned them and even then I didn't see one for another few months - somehow I thought they'd be bigger....

12. Boogie

Boogie Supporting Member Forum Supporter

I give Tatze a small twisted rawhide chew after each meal, which which chews up and swallows. It takes her about half an hour. I count it as her toothbrush :)

She has a cow's ear occasionally as a treat. I find pigs ears too fatty and they 'go through' too fast!

Pizzles look good (?!) but they are very expensive round here.

:)

13. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

I do use rawhide, and I'm careful to buy good quality - I worry about chemicals used in the production - although didn't when Charlie was a puppy (I'd heard bad thing about it, but as Charlie grew I needed to find chews). Charlie needs to chew, and the alternatives (for us) carry worse risks. Charlie is a strong biter, so all hard chews (antlers and things like that) are ruled out because of risk to teeth.

He gets straight "cigars" of rawhide under supervision. In addition, frozen kongs, pizzles, frozen rice hedgehogs stuffed with kibble (not too many as the rice chews give him runny poo), kong goodie bones filled with fish4dog seawraps. I used to give him anco roots, but he started throwing them around and they were damaging my walls!

I also don't feed pigs ears or anything like that. Occasionally, I buy venison ears which are lower fat.

14. Mollly

Mollly Registered Users

Frozen rice hedgehogs? Not when I've heard of! Recipe please Julie?

15. Penny+Me

I bought Penny a couple of rice bones once - they made her poo white :eek:

Molly you can buy them in most petshops - they're with the toothbrush and alligator shaped chews and things like that.

16. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

Yep.
    They are hedgehog shaped vegetable based chews made I think by Antos. Because they are hollow you can stuff them with stuff like banana or rice or soaked kibble.
    Think they are marketed as dental chews. The PAH ones are smaller than the ones I buy though.

17. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

18. Jen

Jen Registered Users

I used to give my old lab raw hide from being a pup. He did choke on a bit once but actually when he was older.

I've never given Scott and scout rawhide as my friend told me her alsation died because it swallowed a large piece which got stuck in its intestines because it hadn't digested properly. It can go a bit like thick glue when chewed.

However as long as the dog is supervised like everyone as said they can swallow all sorts that could choke or get stuck. It's really a personal choice.

19. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Oh, forgot, the latest addition to my chewing arsenal is seahide:

http://www.fish4dogs.com/Products/sea-hide.aspx

He gets it at the end of a walk - it's super smelly and I use it as a lure to get across the busy with dogs car park at the end of the walk, then he chews it on the way home. It doesn't last as long as rawhide though.

20. Mollly

Mollly Registered Users

Oh, and I thought they were some exotica that Julie had lovingly handcrafted for Charlie