Re-crate training a 13 month lab - is it possible?

Discussion in 'Labrador Behavior' started by Sarab1, Apr 11, 2022.

1. Sarab1

Sarab1 Registered Users

Hi there, I'm just looking for some advice regarding re-crate training. I've just moved house and my 13 month old choc lab won't settle in his crate at all when I go to leave. In my old flat I would walk out the door, leave in the crate and he would just go to sleep. However, he wouldn't settle in it when I was in, only when he knew he couldn't get to me and I was out of the building. He has separation anxiety.

I assume it's the new environment and I'm guessing I have to go completely back to scratch again. I've tried doing it very slowly in stages but I feel like I'm fighting a losing battle. It's been a week now but obviously that isn't long enough. Has anyone crate trained a 1 year old? He's fairly wild anyway, extremely high energy compared to the last chocolate lab I had. I'm struggling because I'm staying with my parents and they won't look after him as he's still a difficult teen so I'm trapped not being about to do anything on my own AT ALL which is a pretty difficult as you can imagine.

Any advice would be so welcomed. Thank you.