Re: Rescue Black lab wanted

Discussion in 'Introductions & Saying Hello' started by Camilla Davies, Nov 13, 2013.

1. Camilla Davies

Camilla Davies Registered Users

My husband and I are currently living in The Netherlands as he serves in the Army and we moved out here last year. We live in a big house with a good sized garden next to woods where I take our 11 year old black Labrador, Rosie (12 in January) who we've had since she was a puppy.

We often dog sit other dogs and as Rosie has a very mellow nature they get along together.

We don't have children or any other animals but I do belong to a dog walking club and therefore we would need a sociable dog.

We are looking for a black Labrador up to 7 years old as company for Rosie (and me!) but ease the transition when she passes away. A house without a dog is just too quiet. I don't work full-time (I work from home) and if I do go out, it's not for more than 4 hours.

We understand the Pet Passport scheme, the need for rabies vaccinations every 2 years, worming before returning to the UK etc. As we cannot show our home, we could ask the Military Police or dog handlers to come and vet our house for the new arrival.

We are coming back at Christmas from the 22nd December - 6th January and will be happy to meet and discuss options.

My parents live in Hampshire (New Forest area) and Wiltshire (near Salisbury) and it wouldn't take long to get back to England via the Eurotunnel so that Rosie and I could come back to meet the new dog but would need a couple of day's notice as she would need her wormer from the vets.

2. Dexter

Dexter Moderator Forum Supporter

Camilla,I live in Dubai so I am no resource for you whatsoever but it gladdens my heart that there are people like you out there xi.i follow and donate to a veteran adoption dog scheme here.my yellow lab is our first dog and I cannot contemplate a second ...AT THIS POINT :D but your post has touched my heart......what a comforting thought that maybe in the later years I could consider this option ......I wish you the very best of luck with finding 'the one' ,you will and let us know if you do xxxx

3. charlie

charlie Registered Users

Hi Camilla, I wish you luck in getting your rescue dog, sounds like you have the perfect home and love to give to a needy dog and the lovely Rosie for extra company :). Just make sure you get one that doesn't run off like my rescue boy :eek: Please let us know how you get on.
    Best wishes. x

4. Camilla Davies

Hi Helen, Thank you for your kind words. I do hope I am able to expand the Davies' family very soon. I didn't expect rescue centres to turn me down or not to reply at all as I know that the dog's life would be so much happier and The Netherlands really isn't that far away; 7 hours door to door from Salisbury where we used to live. I shall keep you posted and have resorted to asking my Mum to speak to friends with dogs to speak with other friends with dogs in the hope that we'll get another dog! Best wishes, Camilla

5. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

I am in Australia so no help either but I wanted to say to that I do so hope you are able to soon be providing a home for a needy mature Lab. It sounds like a dog would have a wonderful life with you :) Taking on an older (but not really 'old') dog is a wonderful idea, as a companion for Rosie and yourselves.

6. Karen

Karen Registered Users

I will also keep an ear and eye out here in Frankfurt, Camilla. The rescue centers would not let you take a dog out of the country, I think, but sometimes I hear of dogs that need a home.

I would also advise looking in your local paper, and online, as families that no longer can keep their pet sometimes advertise privately, rather than putting their dog into a rescue center.

Good luck - I hope you and your new friend find each other soon. Please let us know!

7. lois

lois Registered Users

Hi

There is a rescue Centre in Bulgaria, RSDR they have a face book page and they send dogs to the Netherlands I understand. good luck in your search.

Lois

8. Camilla Davies

Thank you everyone for your support and thoughts. I did look on the Dutch rescue centre websites but they seem to be very large dogs or staffie pitbulls which are banned in England. The only lab was a gorgeous chocolate pup which had 'Ik heb baas' on it so had already found a home. An older dog only understands Dutch and apart from komen hier, nicht springen (don't jump up) and heel goed (very good)I can't speak very much at all so that would go for German as well!
    I looked on Gumtree for dogs and just got upset as who on earth after 2 years of having a dog decides they don't want it anymore but will charge £200+ for the poor thing? Alarm bells started ringing and as far as the pups for sale are concerned, puppy farm just springs to mind so I gave up there and would never buy off the internet.
    I have asked my Mum to look in the papers (thanks Karen) in England for me and maybe something will crop up.
    Thank you Lois for your post but I did want to rescue a dog from the UK. However, Bulgaria might be the way forward.

9. lois

lois Registered Users

RSDR is run by amazing English family and they have some lovely dogs they all need love :) xx
    I sponsor a lovely dog from there.

10. hd

hd Registered Users