Really struggling with adolescent labrador behaviour

Discussion in 'Labrador behaviour' started by Golden Ted, Jan 13, 2020.

1. Golden Ted

Golden Ted Registered Users

Hi all,

I'm looking for advice. My golden retriever is now 6.5 months. For the last few weeks every walk I take him on...on lead/off lead results in him leaping at me/growling and biting. The biting hasn't broke my skin but I'm bruised and sore.
    It can happen at the beginning or end of walk. New places or regular places. Sometimes I can see it starting...other times its like he just switches. I've tried running him in our field first/playing ball, find it etc before lead walks but it makes no difference. Today I let him off lead in the field and within a minute he started.
    I've tried shorter walks/exercise but he still does it. It's like a vicious circle as I want to exercise him to tire him but he does this every single time.
    We do training/brain work regularly during the day. His impulse control is pretty good. I can leave the outside door open and tell him to stay in the house until I release him etc.
    I live with my elderly parents and he started to behave badly with them today. Barking/jumping/mouthing and humping!
    I work from home so I'm always around but he does settle in the kitchen if left alone.
    I'm just drained at the moment and dread each day. He does have positives but this behaviour is becoming too much.

2. 5labs

5labs Registered Users

3. base28

base28 Registered Users

4. Golden Ted

Golden Ted Registered Users

Thank you for your reply. I have just read through some posts from people going through the same and it does seem that the behaviour eventually fades out. Today i just did garden play and in our field where he has gone since being 8 weeks old but today has been the worst so far. I think I'm just so fed up with it at the moment that I needed to tell someone.

Hopefully in the next few months I will be able to post that this behaviour has finally stopped.

5. base28

base28 Registered Users

yes we hit lots of lows but also lots highs, eventually the lows became less, I think they have to just mature a bit and then the magic happens, they say that Turing the mind out is better than physical and in Luna case that is so true .

6. TEE

TEE Registered Users

6-7 months is not an easy age, but soon will pass. I did lots of obedience and retrieve work when our dog got excited. The bitting and jumping you should address through training as it should start to fade.

That said they are still kids and when they get exited they do both. I always thought that at this age they are kids in an adult body, unaware of their powers :))

Just keep at it.

Edp likes this.