Recall and swimming on a line

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by Anomaly, May 20, 2018.

1. Anomaly

Anomaly Registered Users

A number of people have suggested using a line which I think is a great idea. My question is don’t they get tangled when they run or swim?

Thank you.

2. 1001

1001 Registered Users

I use a 10m line attached to a harness when doing recall with my pup (we've not been swimming yet so can't comment on this). The harness helps keep the line over his back when he's running around and out the way of his legs.
    The only problem I've had is when he decides he wants to go around trees or lampposts :rolleyes:

Anomaly likes this.
  3. Snowshoe

Snowshoe Registered Users

I guess it depends where your dog swims but NO WAY am I going to have a long line on mine when he's swimming. He swims in natural areas with who knows what hidden deadfalls unseen beneath the water, changed every year by spring thaw. No Way I'm taking a chance on the line getting hung up on one. And yes, I do think the line would tangle around their legs. Heck, I walked with my neighbour and her dog this morning and her dog's leash got wrapped around her body and legs to the point she couldn't walk, when first meeting us and bouncing with excitement. On dry land. Shelby was in a harness with the leash attached between her shoulders.

Anomaly likes this.
  4. charlie

charlie Registered Users

No way would I use a long line on a dog swimming, they could get caught on all sorts of things and drown. Also don't leave a harness on your dog if it goes swimming for the same reason. It's all too dangerous. I only let my dogs go swimming where they are in their own comfortable depth and can get back to shore easily by themselves. Nothing is worth the risk. x

SwampDonkey and Anomaly like this.
  5. Stacia

Stacia Registered Users

I don't even leave a collar on my dog when he swims, you never know what is under the water to catch on.

Anomaly and Cath like this.
  6. Karen

Karen Registered Users

I agree, I always take both dogs' collars off when swimming. I think using a long line in water could potentially be very dangerous.

Anomaly likes this.
  7. Ski-Patroller

Ski-Patroller Cooper, Terminally Cute

I could see using a long line in lakes that have a nice smooth bottom, but otherwise I would worry about it. Our dogs always wear collars, and life jackets when on a boat, but not when swimming from shore. The doggie PFD is mostly for visibility and to provide a handle to get them back in the boat.

All of our dogs have had good enough recall by 12 or 14 weeks that we did not worry about letting them swim with no lead.

Anomaly likes this.
  8. Johnny Walker

Johnny Walker Registered Users

I’d never let my dog swim with a lead on, especially a long one. Strengthening Recall is the best option.

Anomaly likes this.