Recall question

Discussion in 'Labrador Training' started by Widgeon, Sep 23, 2014.

1. Widgeon

Widgeon Registered Users

I have read Pippa's articles and searched old topics but don't seem to have found the answers.

Widges recall to the whistle is excellent (few distractions and well proofed) but I am struggling with the field recall. Most open spaces are either not really suitable for 'dogs off' or have been well used by dogs. I only try to practice when distractions are low ie no other dogs or people etc.
    when on a long trailing lead he tends to stay close and attentive therefore, no probs.

If I let him off he will sit and await the release command, he doesn't go too far away (50-60yrds max) and will sometimes belt back full tilt to the whistle or act like he hasn't heard it.

I've always tried running away, if he sees me he'll always chase, if not when he realises I've gone he runs back in an obvious panic until he finds me.

He does know the meaning of the recall whistle because he comes straight back 70% of the time but I'm looking for a 'game' to play to reinforce this.

We've been recall bouncing him from room to room at home (I think a video JulieT posted?)
    But I think he has worked out the game as much as responding to the whistle!

I have been turning and running as I blow to get him to chase me but I'm not sure how often on a walk to do this before he gets fed up with running back (does this happen or do love and treats mean more than sniffs and leg cocks?)

Does anyone have any 'recall games' for little black monsters?

2. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Re: Recall question

[quote author=Widgeon link=topic=7956.msg112148#msg112148 date=1411477049]
    We've been recall bouncing him from room to room at home (I think a video JulieT posted?)
    But I think he has worked out the game as much as responding to the whistle!

Does anyone have any 'recall games' for little black monsters?
    [/quote]

I have three - others might have more sensible ways of speeding up a recall.

The bouncing recall pattern outside in distracting environments was, for my dog, the best way to introduce distractions. It did not matter that he anticipated the recall cue (actually, this can be quite helpful if you want to change cue, which we did recently) - we still got to blow our whistles and reward the dog for rushing towards us around distractions. If you don't want him to anticipate, mix it up with games, hide and seek, (chase me, tug and whipit if you have no objections to those games) and so on so the dog is looking for the next (fun!) cue but doesn't know which one it is.

You could try rewarding the recall with a super exciting game - in challenging environments, my dog values continuation of activity more than food - stopping for a bit of chicken is done a bit reluctantly by him. You have to give up the nice finish for this, but I found I get the finish back easily enough if I want it. You might only want to do this if your dog doesn't do "fly bys" though. Mine doesn't and will respond again to his "sit in front" cue.

And then there is the yo-yo recall game - also involves giving up your finish. Teach a hand "touch" and put it on cue. Get treats that are big enough to be found in grass. Ask for a touch. Throw the treats away after the touch. First one way, then the next. So the dog is yo-yoing in front of you after the treats. Once the dogs is dashing in for his treat, blow your recall on the turn. If you clicker train, you can start clicking for speed after the turn and before you throw the next treat. Make sure the treats are big, and don't fall apart (otherwise the dog hangs around searching for bits). I found the more energy and the better the treats, the more likely it was that my dog wants to come play "recall" rather than sniff around interesting things. Except footballs.

3. pippa@labforumHQ

pippa@labforumHQ Administrator

Re: Recall question

What julie said PLUS you need to get rid of the 30% right now, or you are going to poison that whistle cue. Make sure that you stop calling him in situations where he is not virtually guaranteed to respond.

So, get his attention in some other way (clap, whoop, act silly, whatever), and make sure he is en route to you, before you blow that whistle.