Red Bump on Tail

Discussion in 'Labrador Health' started by Blaire Lauthers, Oct 8, 2021.

1. Blaire Lauthers

Blaire Lauthers Registered Users

Brand new to this page, but I hope somebody can help.

Our 1.5 year old black lab, Zeke, has developed a small, red, bump on the very tip of his tail. It is about the size of a pencil eraser. We didn't notice it until he began to repeatedly bite at the end of his tail and we started noticing random spots of blood on the walls from his tail hitting as he walked by. Took him to the vet, who was more concerned with the fact that (unbeknownst to us) his tail was actually broken/dislocated about midway up, but thinks it has been like this for a while. The vet feels that this may be a case of "Happy Tail Syndrome" and that Zeke may have some nerve damage causing altered sensation on the end of his tail. He told us to bandage it, let it heal, and see if he continues to bite at it after it heals.

I'm not convinced that the bump is just an irritated spot, and the vet really didn't look much at the spot that is causing the problem, more at his previously dislocated spot.

So I guess I'm here wondering what the hot spot could actually be? I've googled everything under the sun, and it almost looks like a histiocytoma which I see is common in young dogs, but I'm new to all of this... I'll try to attach a picture if I can figure it out...

2. Blaire Lauthers

Blaire Lauthers Registered Users

Here is a link to the picture... it is right on the very tip of his tail. We are having a heck of a time keeping him away from it

http://imgur.com/a/KZx1t24

3. J.D

J.D Registered Users

Hi there and welcome to the group.
    Having had experience of “nasty” spots I would be asking for a needle aspiration either at your vets or a different vet. If nothing found it will give you peace of mind at least.
    Keep up posted.