Red's Training Log

Discussion in 'Your Training Logs' started by Atemas, Aug 16, 2017.

1. Joy

Joy Registered Users

Such a lovely post!

Atemas likes this.
  2. Boogie

Boogie Moderator

That's brilliant on every level xx

Atemas and Stacia like this.
  3. selina27

selina27 Supporting Member Forum Supporter

So lovely :)

Atemas likes this.
  4. Atemas

Atemas Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Just found out that the Friday sessions Red and I go to aren’t continuing :( - he said the other two dogs can’t do it so he’s putting it on hold for the time bring. I am so disappointed as I learnt such a lot and felt it was really good for Red. Aah well, I will look out for other training but for now will need to do my own thing :rolleyes:o_O.

5. Karen

Karen Moderator Forum Supporter

Oh, that's such a shame :(

6. selina27

selina27 Supporting Member Forum Supporter

7. Atemas

The same day I heard our Friday training wasn’t continuing :rolleyes:, I got an email from the lady that did the follow on puppy course. She was offering a variety of skills but reading through, I felt Red is further along at this point so I declined. It is also in the evening and Red is happy to snooze away evenings so whist I am anxious to keep having some tuition from a good trainer, I will be patient. My DH is unwell so today I took Red to the village shop. I wanted to get the Sunday paper so tied her lead up outside the shop. I felt uncomfortable doing this (always the fear of her being taken) but I left her and went in the shop. She waited beautifully so all our sitting and staying on the forecourt on our evening walks was put to the test.

I need to get my act together regarding training although every tea time I am doing a variety of made up things. One really good one is asking her to go middle and sit, then saying stay - tossing out a hand full of kibble and getting her to wait for up to a minute before giving her a release. She is brill at waiting - bless her, she looks longingly at the food and is hungry but she waits patiently.

She still gets excited seeing other dogs out and about but is better at ignoring them when on lead. If I stop to chat to someone, she automatically goes middle and sits. I do treat her for this as it’s exactly what I want her to do.

Joy and selina27 like this.
  8. Atemas

Now Red is having no external training I want to keep her log going with what is happening for her at home. Red gets 3 walks a day - she does a long one with DH and Sky first thing and part of this is off lead. Then after lunch DH takes just her out for about 45 minutes - sometimes Sky is up for it but generally not. Red is always ready for this second walk as she generally snoozes the morning away. More snoozing then she becomes alert at tea time - this is when I do my training session with all her kibble. I have done a plan this week and am repeating 5 activities which include recall, stop to the whistle, impulse control, ping pong recall and a trick. I have also bought her a Clam and tried that out for the first time today - she very quickly worked out how to get the treat. Early evening I take her for a 15/20 minute walk which also has a training element then it’s home, she snoozes the evening away and then off to bed. She has 3 kongs spaced throughout the day. She is now 13 months and seems very content. Most of the time she greets visitors calmly especially family who she knows well and she knows she has to sit to get attention so she does. However, a new person visited this week and I was mortified when Red kept jumping up her - fortunately the person was ok about it. I need to make sure this doesn't become a problem.

Karen, snowbunny and selina27 like this.
  9. Cath

Cath Supporting Member Forum Supporter

What a lucky dog :)

Atemas likes this.