Release and fetch cue

Discussion in 'Labrador Training' started by Sven, Aug 28, 2017.

1. Sven

Sven Registered Users

Hi

Not sure where this would sit. The aim is to do field trials with Vanilla eventually.

I have a release cue 'Off you go' when she sits to be let off the leash or just sits to be allowed to play. We are working on this around distractions etc. especially around other dogs.

We have a 'Fetch' cue that we have used from day one for balls and sticks (kong ones). I have recently started to get her to Sit before I say Fetch, which is challenging to say the least. So before I continue down this path do I change to allow for the below?

We have some dummy's for field trials that we bought earlier but for various reasons never got round to doing anything. I am about to start with these with her.
    Should I introduce a new cue or do we just use the 'Fetch' cue and transfer it across?

I will add when I give the release cue she comes to me rather than actual do her own thing. Only time this is different is either being released off her leash, sniffs for about 10sec then comes to me, or if she has a treat from a sit that she takes to her blanket/bed.

Any advise appreciated
    Thanks

2. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

I can't say what is the "right" way to do things, but the way I do it is like this. These "steps" aren't all trained one after another; you don't have to have mastered the straight sit at heel in order to do the sit until released, but all the skills come together into the final retrieve chain.

- Teach dog to sit straight at heel. If walking to heel, the dog should sit as soon as I stop, with no verbal cue. If the dog is in front, I cue "heel", and dog turns to sit straight by my left side.

- Teach "sit means sit until released". This incorporates sit-stays while I walk away, stepping to the side, dropping food in front, dropping dummies, throwing food, toys, dummies etc in all sorts of directions. Throwing multiple dummies at different places on a clock-face around the dog, working to throwing over the dog's head with dog maintaining the sit. Make sure you are consistent with releasing the dog, either with a release cue, or with a behaviour cue, such as a call to heel.

- Teach the dog to look along your arm, rather than at your hand when you point to a dummy. Different people hold their arms or hands in different ways, which I think just comes down to personal preference. I use my right arm, stretched out straight next to the dog's head. I turn my palm away from the dog, as I find this makes my arm straighter.

- When first introducing steadiness with a retrieve, have dog sit at heel, throw the dummy in front. Depending how far along in the "sit until released" point you are, you may have to restrain the dog with a gentle hand on her chest while you do this. At first, I use my arm signal, even on marked retrieves, to show direction. In time, the arm is only used if there is a memory, blind, or if there are multiple dummies and I think the dog may be helped with some clearer direction. If she is straining, wait for a moment until she relaxes, then use your verbal cue to send her for the retrieve. My cue is "away", but there is no definitive verbal cue, just a few common ones. I don't use "fetch" at all, but I have a different cue for a formal retrieve to my "get it" which is for informal fetching, such as the chase of a reward ball.
    Whilst restraining, if the dog is finding it hard to relax, or isn't following the line of my arm, I stand back up, count to two and then use my arm again. It's valuable to teach your dog not to go until you give your verbal cue, so you can ensure she is locked on the direction you are sending her before she goes.

Sven likes this.
  3. Sven

Sven Registered Users

Thanks for this @snowbunny. I have been teaching things individually then put them together once I feel comfortable she can do it.
    I will use a different cue for formal retrieves, which is what I was leaning to. I will keep 'fetch' for our informal play ie: balls etc.

If I have got this right, you have 'away' as your retrieve cue and a different cue for a release? So for a retrieve you have dog sit to heel,throw dummy then give the 'retrieve' cue.

But if you are asking your dog to sit to take leash off or to play, you have a 'release' cue which is different?
    I might be over complicating things in my head after having read multiple books recently...

4. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

Yes. A release is to break what they're currently doing, rather than a cue to specifically do something else. I have a few different release cues, with specific meanings. My most common one is "OK then", which means "this behaviour is over, but you need to stay engaged with me", which I use, for example, for breaking a sit-stay. The dog is free to move, but stays close and maintains focus. If I'm releasing the dog to go and mooch, I use "go play". This tells them they can have a run around, sniff stuff etc, and whilst I expect them to keep checking in, they're allowed to be a bit more self employed.

This is very different to "away", which has a precise meaning: run out in a straight line to pick up the item I've lined you up on and then return it to my hand. That's cueing a behaviour (or, rather, a chain of behaviours), whereas a release is ending a behaviour.

Sven likes this.
  5. Sven

Sven Registered Users

@snowbunny thanks makes sense. Helpful as always
    I have similar multiple cues and I was starting to wonder if I had to many ie: leash walking and I want to move on after a sniff or sitting waiting to cross the road is one cue, then one to get out of the car and so one. But all involve moving on to some degree, just depending on where and what.