Return to breeder? What do I do?

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by TJB08, Dec 22, 2016.

1. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

Oh, I'm so sorry you had to experience this. You must be so disappointed. I hope the little pup gets sorted out soon and you find the puppy that you're meant to have. Good luck and do stay in touch.

2. TJB08

TJB08 Registered Users

Yes I thought I had been careful. But thinking back now... I have learnt things to take going forwards. I had read about going to get a puppy and making sure you are prepared to walk away if it's not right. But because I had contact before hand and had visited before, it was like the collection was treated by him (as well as me) as a formality...that it was a given I would take her. I didn't know to check for hernias and I did ask about her scratching and was given the answer about litter mates scratching each other which now I know wasn't true, but at the time I didn't, but I would be more suspicious/check in future. I think it would also ask the breeder what happens if when I get her checked (which I'd do on the day of collection next time) there are conditions found. I also would check about them being separated from the mother beforehand.

He said he separated them at 6 weeks because it was the only way to stop mum feeding them milk. But everything I have read says they need to be with her until at least 8 weeks because they learn bite inhibition and get "told off" if they are too rough. So would normally puppies stay with mum but she just stops feeding them?

3. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

I think it depends on the bitch, to be honest. Much bite inhibition is learned amongst the litter mates and not necessarily just from mum. My older dogs (siblings) were pretty much abandoned by their mum at around 6.5 weeks! She really wanted nothing more to do with them and would move away if they started hassling her. She wasn't completely separated from the puppies, but she was given the choice as to how much time she spent with them.

My new puppy's mum was a completely different thing and, when I went to collect Luna at 8 weeks, was still completely overjoyed to be in the company of her puppies, was still cleaning them and laying down to feed them!

4. SwampDonkey

SwampDonkey Registered Users

Sorry you've had such a tough time. I hope you find a puppy when you're ready.

5. Stacia

Stacia Registered Users

My puppies didn't stay with their Mother, she was taken away when they were weaned, about 5 weeks and she was relieved to be away. I think many dams leave their pups at that age.

6. PawPrints

PawPrints Registered Users

As difficult a decision it is it sounds like you went with your instincts to return her. I think I would have a very hard time letting her go but I would also be so worried about her health because the breeder was not straight up with me. I hope you are able to get past this and find a new breeder and welcome new pup in the future.

7. DebzC

DebzC Registered Users

Very difficult indeed and a brave decision to take. You will find your perfect pup in good time; you've done the right thing.

8. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

I have been following your story but not commented before now as you had loads of good advice.
    You have made a really tough decision, and the right one for you, for sure. It must have been so hard.
    I really wish you luck with finding a new pup with a reputable breeder.
    Feeling sorry for you all having to go through the distress of this.
    The very very best of luck
    Jac x

Emily_BabbelHund and Helen like this.
  9. Debs

Debs Registered Users

What a very stressful and worrying time you have had. You have made the right decision, I think you are incredibly brave.

10. TJB08

TJB08 Registered Users

Thank you everyone. The support on this forum has been incredible.

I live alone and so make the decision by myself was very hard. I had some good input from friends but I've so appreciated the thoughts and concern from folks here, which above all has helped me feel not so alone.

Thank you. Thank you.

b&blabs, Dexter, Rosie and 2 others like this.
  11. edzbird

edzbird Registered Users

What a tough time you've had. You've made a very brave decision that is right for you AND the pup. I wish you lots of luck with your future search for the right dog. I hope you have not been discouraged.

12. Samantha Jones

Samantha Jones Registered Users

What a horrid decision you had to make. There are good breeders out there and to be honest when we got Bailey if I had known all the signs to look out for I would have probably walked away. However we have been incredibly lucky in that we have a brilliant boy, more luck than judgement on our part. Don't let this experience put you off, i am sure the right pup is out there for you.

13. MF

MF Registered Users

Wow what a hard time you've had. I hope you write to the kennel club about this breeder to warn others. Best of luck in your search.

14. Pilatelover

Pilatelover Registered Users

What a dreadful situation to find yourself in, I'm sure you will find the right puppy for you. Good luck in your search and please stay in touch.

15. Granca

Granca Registered Users

What a difficult experience. I hope you find a suitable puppy soon. Do let us know.

16. Lisa

Lisa Registered Users

So sorry you have had this tough situation, it was a very hard decision for you to make I am sure.

There are definitely no guarantees out there, but to be honest that particular breeder just had so many red flags that it would be hard to trust anything they said.

17. Emily_BabbelHund

Emily_BabbelHund Longest on the Forum without an actual dog

Again, so sorry you went through this. But kudos to you for being able to quickly make the decision that was right for you. Hopefully the new year will bring you the dog or puppy who is the perfect fit.

18. Rosie

Rosie Registered Users

What a horrible position to be in. I feel for you. Of course we all feel for the pup too, but as you rightly say it is the breeder's responsibility and they should not be allowed to get away with it, or more pups will suffer.
    I'm sure you did the right thing - and especially by deciding and acting quickly. Please stay in touch with us on the forum and let us know how your search for your puppy goes next year - we all hope you have a better experience next time!

19. Coronashines

Coronashines Registered Users

Hi Rosie,
    I am in complete panic and devastation. My 11 week old yellow lab was diagnosed yesterday with juvenile cellulitis. I am all over the Internet but am welcoming anything you can provide about experience and how to handle everything. We were there for 3 hours today, poor baby is in such pain and I am heartbroken. They took blood test which were normal. They also took biopsy because the sores have been getting worse since Monday when I first took him to the vet and they said it was allergies. My vet warned me he will have scarring around his muzzle. Potentially vision problems because his eyes are now so droopy from swelling.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 24, 2017
  20. Chococheer

Chococheer Registered Users

Hello there Coronashines, I'm not Rosie, but it doesn't really matter - I received my boy after he was treated for a week with Cortisone (the drug used to treat this condition), so he was at the tail end of it. Having said that, it was pretty nasty - open sores and swollen eyes (just as you mentioned with your Lab).

He didn't develop any vision problems once it had cleared completely, but he does have some mild scarring on his muzzle.

Now, again, he had already been treated - but I cleaned his face (the wounds) with boiled water and rubbed in coconut oil thrice daily (I don't know if it was of any help, but my vet said it certainly wouldn't do him any harm).

I have no real advice other than to keep your fingers crossed and hope your Lab comes through with not too much permanent damage.

All the best to you and your Lab.