RIP COBY

Discussion in 'The Rainbow Bridge' started by Nat the lab lover, Apr 1, 2017.

1. Nat the lab lover

Nat the lab lover Registered Users

HELP. I've lost my 14 year old Lab x Border Collie. The HARDEST day of my LIFE. Barr NONE. I'll give a run down... I have 3 kids (14, 12 & 10 years old... all boys) and we adopted a 4 year old lab x 10 years ago. He was beautiful. An 'easy' dog. Didn't bark. Didn't dig. Didn't want for anything at all.... it was live at first sight. So life went on. He ended up getting some sort of stomach cancer (incurable) but lived a painfree life for years after diagnosis. The occasional vomit, but what Lab doesn't *food was often the cursed enemy*
    I couldn't believe it, last Friday... My best mate, my tag along and my boys guardian and bestest buddy passed away. Coby had his ups and downs but that night i arrived home from my boys footy and he ran to me to say hello as i hopped out of the car. I never thought i would be saying goodbye tonight. He had a turn and collapsed and couldn't even wait for the locum vet...we lay with him in our arms waiting for the vet & he took his last breath. He made our family complete. He was my little shadow and the kids bestest fur brother. I will miss him beyond words. A huge chunk of our hearts gone. Well... now its been 1 week since our beautiful dog left us. life is different now. No greetings at the door. No cuddles on the couch and we have to pick up all crumbs on the floor. It is the little things we take for granted, that when not there, we miss dearly. We Love and miss him so much. It's almost too much to bear. I am bawling my eyes out daily still. It's been just over 1 week. I know it's still early days... but I can't even look at a photo of him without bawling uncontrollably. I'm truly heartbroken. Please someone help. I need to know it won't feel like this for ever!?

2. PawPrints

PawPrints Registered Users

Soo sorry to hear about your loss.... RIP Coby

3. selina27

selina27 Registered Users

Hi Nat,

So sorry to hear that you have lost your much loved mate. My own experience of grief tells me that it won't be like this forever, that in time the pain will lessen and you start to accept the bereavement. It's hard I know, but I hope you can get some comfort from knowing he had the best of times with you.
    Do you need a new Hoover for the crumbs?:)

Nat the lab lover likes this.
  4. SwampDonkey

SwampDonkey Registered Users

So sorry we all understand at least had you with him. He knew he was loved

5. JenBainbridge

JenBainbridge Registered Users

I'm so sorry. I'm tearing up just reading your post. It must be so hard.

But he knew he was loved. And I'm sure one day you'll be able to look back on the happy memories and smile x

6. Debs

Debs Registered Users

So sorry for you and your family. You loved him and he knew the love you gave him. x

7. kateincornwall

kateincornwall Registered Users

I am so terribly sorry for your loss , try to take comfort from the life of love that you gave to your dear boy x

8. Nat the lab lover

Nat the lab lover Registered Users

Hehe. Yes. My Doggie Hoover is gone... every single time I use the vacuum cleaner now... I cry my eyes out. He really was the most awesome dog... even though I had to vacuum 3 times a day, to get rid of the black tubleweed... haha

selina27 likes this.
  9. Stacia

Stacia Registered Users

I have said something to you on another post and now have read more fully the loss of your most beloved Coby. It does get better, I can promise you, the pain comes in waives and then the waives get further and further apart and one day you will be able to think about him without that terrible pain of loss. It perhaps helps to know that you gave him the best life you could, that he lived his full score of doggy life, so for him life was perfect. The tragedy is that there life span is so much shorter than ours and we miss them desperately. But to know that we gave them happiness in their life on this earth does help. xx

Cath likes this.
  10. edzbird

edzbird Registered Users

What a wonderful life you gave to Coby. He was lucky to feel your love to the very end. In my experience, the loss never goes, but it loses it's raw edge, it loses it's dreadful pain. The hole Coby has left in your hearts will gradually fill with fond memories of your boy, and you will smile when you think of him and talk about him. It take time and many tears.

11. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

:(
    Tearing up. So so sorry x

12. Saba's Boss

Saba's Boss Registered Users

So very very sorry for your loss. What a lucky boy he was to have such a loving family x

13. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

So sorry that you've lost your beautiful boy.

It really is the hardest thing and what you're feeling and how it's affecting you is totally normal. It's genuinely gutting. In time the heartbreaking feeling and all the other tough feelings will lessen. You'll still think of your dog every day and tears will still come pretty easily. You will always love your dog and miss him. But the enjoyment and laughter will come back into life too.

One day you might get another dog who will have their own funny and unique personality and who you will love just as much. This won't lessen the love you felt for for beautiful old doggie one iota.

14. BevE

BevE Registered Users

I'm so sorry for your loss. The heartbreaking grief and pain will gradually lessen, leaving you with beautiful memories of a much loved dog. Coby knew he was loved as he left this life with you by his side. Run easy across Rainbow Bridge Coby x

15. Lisa

Lisa Registered Users

Hugs to you at this difficult time. It is so very hard, but the sharp pain of it will lessen and you will find things getting easier as time passes. But the lovely memories will remain and you will find that Coby will always be with you.

16. Cath

Cath Registered Users

Dear Nat, so sorry about your dear friend. You did your best for him, he loved you and you loved him. One day you will be able to look at his picture without pain, but with lovely memories. Hugs x

17. Granca

Granca Registered Users

So sorry to hear about Coby. He obviouly had a good life with you and your family and was well loved to the end. It can take ages for the happy memories to take over the sad ones, but that will happen eventually.

18. Karen

Karen Registered Users

Deep sympathy to you, it really is very hard to bear.

I had my two old boys cremated and buried their ashes in the garden. I planted bulbs where their ashes were buried. Now every spring when things start growing I am so happy to see Billy and Bones' daffodils and bluebells; it always makes me smile - and sometimes shed a little tear, too. Having some sort of little commemoration ceremony and place can be a comfort. Hugs to you.

selina27 and Stacia like this.
  19. Joy

Joy Registered Users

Very sorry you've lost your boy. I know from experience that they leave us bereft, but gradually you will be able to remember the happy years you had.

20. MF

MF Registered Users

I'm so sorry for your loss. From experience of loss, I have found that things go back to normal - but can take a long time. Although in hard times I miss those lost ones as badly. I don't know if anyone can tell you how you're going to feel in the future, but it seems from experience we all manage to get back to normal. Perhaps you can call a Help Line or speak to a professional therapist if you find you're not coping. My deepest sympathies to you.