Robustness of a Kong

Discussion in 'Labrador Chat' started by FayRose, Feb 3, 2017.

1. FayRose

FayRose Registered Users

Now approx. 4 months ago I bought an Xtreme Kong, the black one, a size smaller than the largest. Molly is a BIG chomper.
    Anyway, today I discover that it has split, right round the middle :eek: Has anyone seen a Kong go like that after a few months?

I must explain that we do stuff it and put it in the freezer overnight and have probably done this about 3 nights a week for the past 3 months or so.

I guess my query is if the Kongs can only cope with being frozen for a certain number of times.
    They don't actually mention anywhere on the packaging if this is unsuitable treatment for a Kong.

Any experiences gratefully received. Today I bought the largest black Kong and its just gone in the freezer with the same amount as the smaller in the hope it will take Molly longer to empty. :rolleyes:

2. Pilatelover

Pilatelover Registered Users

I bought the Xtreme Kong goodie bone for Mabel and it lasted a week but the original shaped kongs are still going strong. I still use three of her puppy ones. Since last July she has had her quota of kibble frozen in them every single evening. I wonder whether we happened to have bought faulty ones. The other shaped Kong Mabel has is the dental dumbell which is also still in brilliant condition. That is frozen daily as well. At any given time I can have up to 6 kongs freezing nicely. She has her own draw in the freezer now. :)

FayRose likes this.
  3. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

My two adults aren't power chewers, so I can't really help! They still have the blue puppy kongs I bought for Willow at 8 weeks - well over 2 years ago! They've been frozen at least once a week since then. They're looking a bit tired - lots of teeth dents - but they're otherwise intact.

FayRose likes this.
  4. SwampDonkey

SwampDonkey Registered Users

I've used black khongs for Rory since he was young. He destroyed anything other than black. I don't freeze them but I have to buy new every 3 months as he destroys the area round the hole. He is a very vigerous chewer

FayRose likes this.
  5. SteffiS

SteffiS Registered Users

I've had a couple of kongs split round the middle after being frozen several times a week and chewed very avidly by Ripple, but they tend to last at least 6 months before this happens. I put it down to general deterioration with all the freezing and chewing. I just replace them as they split. I think it is worth it for the amount they are used, much more than some other toys which have cost a lot more and are hardly played with (Puller rings for example).

FayRose and SwampDonkey like this.
  6. Ski-Patroller

Ski-Patroller Cooper, Terminally Cute

Ours have never destroyed a Black Kong. They are both power chewers, but they don't really chew on kongs that much. Mostly just to get treats out. They prefer to chew on nylabones and any soft toy. Nyabones last a long time, but only a few soft toys survive.

SwampDonkey likes this.
  7. Jes72

Jes72 Registered Users

Homer managed to destroy one of his Kongs, he chews dits off around the edge to get inside better. He has two others a red and a black which have lasted well.

8. Naya

Naya Registered Users

We are still using puppy kongs and one adult red Kong and I freeze them at least twice a week for nearly 3 years now and no problems. Harley isn't a chewer though.