Rolo's training log.

Discussion in 'Your Training Logs' started by Rolokris, Jan 2, 2015.

1. Merla

Merla Registered Users

Re: Rolo's training log.

Yes, mine's a button one a bit like the first one- always found it works fine and it clips on a lead or belt loop. I know lots of people have the 'box' ones too though.

2. Rolokris

Rolokris Registered Users

Lovely thank you.

3. Beanwood

Beanwood Registered Users

We just use cheap clickers from ebay/amazon which attach to your wrist. Bit like a bracelet. I pop one round my wrist as part of my routine when getting ready to take the dogs out. :) Also you can never have too many..I for one am great at tossing a dummy AND wishing Benson would retrieve the said clicker that also flew into the water ::)...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Training-Cl...Agility/dp/B007PYKHD4/ref=pd_cp_petsupplies_2

Love your focus, and especially the cue "watch" I would try this out in lots of different areas to see how it works, if there was one thing I wish I spent more time on was the " look at me" cue. :)

4. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

I only do one thing per session with Charlie. I work on one thing, for a few minutes, then have a break. Then do a few more minutes. If I change the thing I'm training, I'll try to leave at least 30 minutes between sessions - if I can.

From everything you've said and described, I'd say you are trying to add cues far too soon. Way before you have the behaviour.

To teach on your bed, try this:

Stand still a few feet away from the vet bed. Do not say anything. Toss a treat onto the mat using a particular way of throwing the treat. Pup runs on to his bed to get the treat. Repeat 5 times.

On the 6th time, just make the same arm movement but don't throw the treat. Keep standing still, and don't say anything. If the pup goes onto the bed, say good boy and quickly give him a treat. If the pup doesn't go onto the bed, go back to tossing the treat.

See if the pup will go on his bed 5 times with just your arm movement. Then stop, that's the session over.

Next session, repeat going on to your bed with the arm movement, if this works do 5 repetitions, if it doesn't go back a step.

Once the pup is going onto his bed with your arm movement, drop the treat at your feet. Arm movement, pup goes onto bed, good boy, drop the treat at your feet.

Do about 5 to 10 very short sessions, over a couple of days, when you are waiting for the kettle to boil, say.

Once you have no hesitation in going on the bed, you can move a bit further away, then move the vet bed around the house (start again from the beginning when you move the vet bed).

Once it works fluently around the house - you still haven't said anything - add the verbal before your arm movement. Once the pup anticipates your arm movement when he hears the verbal cue, he is starting to understand what "on your bed" actually means.

Keep your voice light, and cheerful, and friendly. Not stern.

Hope that helps! Look forward to hearing about your progress! :)

5. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

What Julie is suggesting is pretty much exactly what I did with mine. Like Merla said though, since your trainer is not a clicker user, so may have different ideas.

FWIW, here is my clicker. I like it because it has a control on it which allows you to change how loud it is. Some others are really loud (although you can alter that with a bit of blutac, it would have meant me buying clicker and blutac. It was easier and cheaper to simply buy the multi clicker). http://www.amazon.co.uk/CLIX-CK-Cli...1420355649&sr=8-1&keywords=clix+multi+clicker

6. Incastinker

Incastinker Registered Users

Don't get disheartened at all about the speed of progress. Just the fact you are taking the time to do some training every day will make a huge difference. There are so many dog owners out there who don't bother to do any training! We have had days with Inca where we felt like we were going backwards and also I think when you are with the puppy every day it's difficult to see how much they have progressed but every now and then you have a great moment where you suddenly realise how much they have learnt and it's all totally worth it :)

7. Rolokris

[quote author=JulieT link=topic=9347.msg134473#msg134473 date=1420329958]
    I only do one thing per session with Charlie. I work on one thing, for a few minutes, then have a break. Then do a few more minutes. If I change the thing I'm training, I'll try to leave at least 30 minutes between sessions - if I can.

From everything you've said and described, I'd say you are trying to add cues far too soon. Way before you have the behaviour.

To teach on your bed, try this:

Stand still a few feet away from the vet bed. Do not say anything. Toss a treat onto the mat using a particular way of throwing the treat. Pup runs on to his bed to get the treat. Repeat 5 times.

On the 6th time, just make the same arm movement but don't throw the treat. Keep standing still, and don't say anything. If the pup goes onto the bed, say good boy and quickly give him a treat. If the pup doesn't go onto the bed, go back to tossing the treat.

See if the pup will go on his bed 5 times with just your arm movement. Then stop, that's the session over.

Next session, repeat going on to your bed with the arm movement, if this works do 5 repetitions, if it doesn't go back a step.

Once the pup is going onto his bed with your arm movement, drop the treat at your feet. Arm movement, pup goes onto bed, good boy, drop the treat at your feet.

Do about 5 to 10 very short sessions, over a couple of days, when you are waiting for the kettle to boil, say.

Once you have no hesitation in going on the bed, you can move a bit further away, then move the vet bed around the house (start again from the beginning when you move the vet bed).

Once it works fluently around the house - you still haven't said anything - add the verbal before your arm movement. Once the pup anticipates your arm movement when he hears the verbal cue, he is starting to understand what "on your bed" actually means.

Keep your voice light, and cheerful, and friendly. Not stern.

Hope that helps! Look forward to hearing about your progress! :)

[/quote]

Fantastic advice, Julie Thank you. Will give this a whirl today. See how we get on.

On the magic word front I have bought some nice steak and am planning on charging the magic word up over the next few days.

Going to order my clicker today. Spoke to hubby and he has his reservations as he thinks Rolo is doing so well without it but I do the training so it's my decision. He is very concerned about his resource guarding and nipping especially with the children. He doesn't read this forum. I have told him the nipping will soon stop and the resource guarding I am going to tackle with the clicker. I have read pippas articles on heel work with a clicker too so looking forward to getting that sorted.

8. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

[quote author=Incastinker link=topic=9347.msg134503#msg134503 date=1420363374]
    Don't get disheartened at all about the speed of progress. Just the fact you are taking the time to do some training every day will make a huge difference. There are so many dog owners out there who don't bother to do any training!
    [/quote]

Very true.

What surprised me about dog training is how precise you need to be, how consistent, and how much time you have to take over each small step. I think experienced trainers know and expect this so they don't always explain it. Us beginners are usually guilty of moving on too fast. :). But once we learn to slow done, progress gets much quicker.

9. Rolokris

Imagine me singing

It's here, it's here, it's really really here my clicker, my clicker!

Charging it up tonight and tomorrow when can I really begin training?

10. sunsetpines

sunsetpines Registered Users

I think after one or two brief charging sessions...so he clearly understands that click= treat...I'd get started. :)

11. heidrun

heidrun Supporting Member Forum Supporter

You could use the clicker but without the pup to learn about timing. Bounce a ball and click the exact moment the ball hits the ground, not as easy as it seems. ;) There are lots of other ideas on how to teach yourself good timing with a clicker. :)

12. Rolokris

Ok had a few clicker charging sessions and have begun to train Rolo.

Ok I am slightly concerned as although I have never been to the doctors I am really struggling to retain information for more than a few minutes (I'm only 31!) It's something that in the last few months has really begun to affect me. I have been watching Kikopups youtube clips and am taking it really slow.

Sit/stay

1. In a room no distractions. Using a treat lure Rolo into a sit as soon as bum down C&T.

2. Move around so Rolo follows Lure into sit as soon as bum down C& T. Repeat about 5 times.

3. Lure Rolo into sit C & T, whilst still sitting C & T repeatedly give him a steady stream of treats, clicking before each treat.

4. Tapped my legs for him to release when he does C & T.

Does that sound like I'm doing it right? When do I introduce the command or do I not do a command do I do a hand signal?

I am so sorry that I am taking it so back to basics I just want to get it 100% right.

13. snowbunny

Sounds good. I know some people on here don't do the "streaming" of treats the same way as kikopup does. If he's not too eager to jump up into a stand again, I'd draw out the length of time between the C&T so he gets the idea that you want him to sit and sty there a while.

Try to fade the lure as quickly as possible - after a few goes - so you're "faking it" with the same hand gesture. You can then turn this hand gesture into your cue (open hand, palm up). Once you know that he's going to respond to that with good consistency, you can add in your verbal cue if you want to use one, or a whistle cue. Mine respond to all three types of cue - probably strongest to the hand cue.

14. Rolokris

Thanks Fiona. I've been watching an early youtube clip of you and Willlow got some great tips from ot. Thank you. I've also been doing hand touch which is something I have never done before. Rolo got it straight away. Mt coordination is all over the place tho. I treat, click, show hand, click, treat, show hand all in the wrong order lol. Will get there soon I'm sure.

Also, whilst I was making lunch for the builders Rolo followed me into the kitchen he laid down in his usual spot and settled down. So I randomly C&T and said "good settle" each time I clicked. Is that right?

15. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

You sound to be really getting into it, that's just great. You'll get the hand of it in no time.

I don't click "randomly" as you describe it. It's not something I do. I also do not repeatedly click for duration.

If you are having trouble with the coordination, try shaping something that doesn't matter so you and Rolo get used to training and learning. Also, get a good basic beginner's book. :)

Try getting Rolo to put his front paws in a flat box (or anything else) without saying a word, or using a lure, for example.

16. Rolokris

I've done a 10 minute session this morning. Doing sit with the lure to start with then faking the lure but shaping more of a hand signal palm facing upwards and then also bringing in the verbal cue. He gets that really well. When he knows the treat pot is close by that is. I am taking a few steps away from him and he is staying in position then releasing with 'free'. Free not totally with the word alone tapping my legs. Will work on reducing this tho once he has got it.

Also I have been doing the hand touch this works well to begin with come the 5th or 6th time and he's not touching but biting! So I just change what we are doing. Is that correct?

In your bed: ok not good. I throw a treat in his bed as soon as he touches his bed I click and treat (should this treat be thrown away from the bed so as to reset the whole process? I have seen this being done with charlies dummy retrieve from cake tin) then what? Keep repeating and at a later date add the verbal cue?

Kris

17. snowbunny

[quote author=Rolokris link=topic=9347.msg139307#msg139307 date=1422179017]
    In your bed: ok not good. I throw a treat in his bed as soon as he touches his bed I click and treat (should this treat be thrown away from the bed so as to reset the whole process? I have seen this being done with charlies dummy retrieve from cake tin) then what? Keep repeating and at a later date add the verbal cue?
    [/quote]

I use a release cue to get mine out of their bed. I ensure all four feet are in the bed before I C&T. I also found that sometimes the treat would bounce out when I threw it, so when I got round to this with Shadow, I lured more with my hand rather than the throw. Then, that lure was faded into just a straight arm and point. When they consistently went to their bed on the point, I added an "in your bed" cue to it.

18. Rolokris

So today I've been working on the same few things as I have been doing for the past few days.

Sit: working really well with my hand signal, I get him into a sit don't say a word or give a hand signal take a few steps back 2 steps is my limit at the moment without him moving give the free command without the hand movements and he releases. Yay!

Hand touch: Working well for the first few and then he starts opening his mouth as he touches then bites so I move on.

On your bed: I threw a treat into his bed (Using hand signal) when he has 4 paws in bed C & T. Repeated once or twice. Did the hand signal without the lure waited, waited, waited and he sat in front of his bed! Released him did the same again he got in this time C & T repeated several times. Got more treats did the same again he wouldn't get in the bed just sat in front of it!

All in all I think we are doing well. Going to do the paws in the box and then not sure what else.

Kris

19. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

That sounds really good!

I'm glad in your second post you said you are not using a verbal cue for sit, don't rush to add verbal cues. Wait until the behaviour is really reliable before you add a cue. This way, you will cue the finished behaviour, not something half way.

Don't worry about him biting your hand on touch. That will wear off (and if it doesn't you can fix it). For now, just stop before he starts to bite, so just do three reps. Once you've done that for a few days, try doing 4. I don't do more than 10 reps of anything, without a break, and more dog is much older than yours.

Do 4 paws in the box, it'll help you. It's just for fun, so keep it lighthearted and fun for the puppy. Once you've done that, shape 4 paws in the bed in the same way. :)

20. Rolokris

So today I have been doing more sits, still not using the verbal cue. He is doing really well. Obviously he knows when a training session is about to start and he is on his best behaviour I'm sure he wouldn't sit for me if out and about. I am going to take him for a walk on his lead tomorrow, take the clicker and some lovely salmon and see how we get on.

I did a bit of a mix up with sit, stay (no verbal cue, just my index finger up held up) and then a release 'free' . I did a down using a lure, tomorrow will incorporate faking a lure again no verbal cue for this. I can't seem to get a stand tho. Will have to research this one, my trainer (not been back since xmas, thinking about changing) taught me to tickle his tummy to get him to stand. He doesn't stand for me just rolls over for tummy rubs!

I've been on YouTube watching some training clips and have been doing some leave it training.

Treat in my hand let Rolo sniff my hand when he looks away C & T. Did this several times then put the treat on the floor as he went to get the treat cover it with my hand, when he looks away C& T (picking the treat up) then went on to not covering the treat and he left it alone once he looks away C&T. Hoping to progress onto counter surfing being totally elliminated. He got my sons sandwich this morning. We don't feed him from the counter but with 2 kids there is always something interesting to grab and not always food related!

Feel quite happy with my training today. Been a good day!