rose ear anyone?

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by nmcallister, Sep 2, 2015.

1. nmcallister

nmcallister Registered Users

Hi there, I recently purchased a male yellow English lab, and I noticed when he was younger his ears were floppy and oh so cute, since teething started I have noticed they're curled almost (rose ear is how it is referred to). He is 5 months old now and I was wondering if I should tape his ears to get back to that "floppy" look or if they will go back. I was also curious, my male seems to be super squishy and wrinkly in his face. He was unpapered, but was told he was purebred and pick of the litter. I saw both parents and his father has the amazing block head, fatter nose, and he has some but didn't notice an abundance of wrinkles like my boy has. Should I be concerned that he is in fact not purebred?

2. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

Hi there.
    I don't think taping ears will make you very popular with your dog. It doesn't work in humans and it certainly won't work in our furry friends! Whoever suggested it to you may have been winding you up a bit.
    All our dogs look different, and "grow into" themselves, hence ears change, wrinkles come and go, leggy skinny dogs become muscular and well-rounded.
    Treat your dog with care and compassion, feed him good quality food, train him kindly and treasure his uniqueness.
    Hope you enjoy the forum.
    Jac

kosmoteo likes this.
  3. nmcallister

Thanks for the response Jacqui. :)

I have never been a fan of taping or anything like that - and was a bit skeptical and curious when I heard about taping them. I have read that some grow out of it, some don't. Was just curious if any other lab lovers had encountered the "rose ear" thing Otis and I are going through. He has been an absolute joy and I love every minute of his "uniqueness" and his face is to die for. Just some general questions as he is my first English. I've had an American and never saw the rose ear with her. I make sure to give him plenty of love, socialization, and a grain free diet has been great for him. :) I am really looking forward to the many years of happiness with this boy. :)

4. Rosie

Rosie Registered Users

Your boy sounds lovely - can you post some pictures for us?

5. nmcallister

I believe my membership to this forum is too new to post pictures :(

It won't let me post any. But as soon as I am able to I would love to share pictures of my boy :)

6. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

No-one can attach pics directly to posts, so it's not just newer members :) You need to upload your pics to a photo hosting site like Flickr, then copy the BBcode and paste that into your post :)

7. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

It doesn't take many posts to get a picture up :)
    As long as you use a host such as Flickr or Photobucket or something similar and just copy the image link rather than relying on a direct upload - the server is limited in what it can store - the avatar picture is okay, otherwise its a third party host. Some info in Technical & help if you need it.

8. Oberon

9. nmcallister

Thank you everyone for the help - as you can tell, I'm new to this haha. Here is a pic of my boy at 8 weeks. [​IMG]IMG_5236 by Nicolette McAllister, on Flickr

10. nmcallister

11. nmcallister

12. nmcallister

13. nmcallister

14. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

Aw how cute - what a squidgy looking lad :):):)

15. nmcallister

Thanks Jacqui. He's the most adorable, loveable guy ever. And his face is what sold me. When I saw him I couldn't say no! I just wish they would've done his rear dew claws :/

16. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

Why on earth would you want his dew claws removed?

17. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Hello, and a very warm welcome to the forum.

Rear dew claws? Most dogs do not have rear dew claws, although some breeds do and I understand they can arise in any dog. Are you sure your dog had rear dew claws to start with?

18. Oberon

I think that nmcallister is saying that Otis has rear dew claws (as of now). They can be seen in the top pic on this page :)

19. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Oh yes, I see - sorry, misunderstood the post....it's late here in the UK...

20. nmcallister

Yes, he has his rear dew claws. Most breeders "clip" them or have them removed very very young age, because as they grow older these can get caught and actually rip off of the dog's rear legs. Ouch!! He actually has double dew claws on the rear, I'll try and post a better picture of them to show what I am talking about. I have been talking with my vet as far as getting them removed so not to run into any problems when he is older - we spend A LOT of time outdoors in the mountains, etc. and I just don't want to see him hurt himself catching one of them. But he would have to go under anesthesia :/