Running with Labs

Discussion in 'Labrador Chat' started by Nicpic, Sep 30, 2011.

1. Nicpic

Nicpic Registered Users

As I Runner ,(all distance's), I have thought it would be nice to take Ted (18mths ) with me one day . I have not considered this as an option yet until he is fully grown (2yrs) as I do not want to promote elbow or hip dysplasia ,due to over exercise .
    I'am constantly asked why I don't run with him , by so called doggy ! People,who think i'm being a bit pathetic !

Wondering what the group thinks about this .....?

2. pippa@labforumHQ

pippa@labforumHQ Administrator

Re: Running with Labs

I too would be interested to hear other opinions.
    I have always considered my labs to have completed their growth by around 18 months and by this age my dogs are working a full day during the winter. Many spaniels are working hard in the from around 15 months old, which may be the equivalent of running a marathon. ;D

This is a link specifying ages for growth plate closure, http://www.agilityability.com/growth_plates.htm
    It does not state sources or the credentials of those giving their opinions, but other sites seem to concur with most concluding that growth plate closure is complete between 12 and 16 months of age, apart from some giant or very large breeds (over 100 pounds or so).
    Muscle mass may continue to increase for a few months after growth plate closure and this may influence your decision on how hard to work the dog.
    One point in the above link is that this process may be delayed in a neutered dog.
    Its an interesting topic

Pippa

3. Sammie@labforumHQ

Sammie@labforumHQ Administrator Staff Member

Hi nic

I, too, am used to see 18 month old dogs working all day on a shoot. Although we aren't running, they often are! However this may be less strenuous than what you do, as shoot days can be quite 'stop-starty' so they do get to catch their breath. As he is quite mature I personally wouldn't be worried about sheer over-exercise causing damage, but more the general risk of injury from exercise beyond his own current level of fitness. So rather than wait til he is two, I would probably start running with him now, for short runs, and gradually build up his fitness. Just like with a person.

As a aside, if you run on

4. Sammie@labforumHQ

Sorry, that should say, if you run on Tarmac, bear in mind that your dog can't wear air-sole trainers!

Just my thoughts - hope there's something helpful/interesting in there!

Sam

5. patricia t

patricia t Registered Users

I started running with my lab x last summer - not far and certainly not fast, until i tripped over the lead, fell breaking both wrists, a hairline fracture of my skull, a black eye and concussion! :-[ the dog hadn't pulled, the lead was fairly slack. I am hoping to run again with him, but definitely off-lead, or with one of the caniX harnesses.

6. pippa@labforumHQ

pippa@labforumHQ Administrator

How awful!! :eek: :eek:

You poor thing. I think you are very brave giving it another go. I have sustained a few injuries over the years from being around dogs, but nothing quite like that!

I think off lead sound safer, though I believe this is not allowed at canicross, I think the dog has to be attached to the runner. I havent handled a canicross harness, are they designed so that you can't trip over them?

Pippa

7. Sammie@labforumHQ

Patricia that sounds awful! Poor you! Running off lead could be tricky in some places maybe though?