Runny Poo - sorry!!

Discussion in 'Labrador Health' started by charlie, Aug 12, 2013.

1. charlie

charlie Registered Users

I have mentioned Charlie's weight loss and today and on quite a few previous occassions he has very runny poo and we cannot pin point what could be causing it. At the moment he is getting fresh cooked chicken for recall training and extra kibble as suggested by our vet to put some weight on him. Today I have cleaned up 4 lots :( Any ideas? Thanks Helen xx

2. kateincornwall

kateincornwall Registered Users

Re: Runny Poo - sorry!!

Hi Helen, poor you and poor Charlie too :( Maybe it would be worth having a word with the Vet who might ask you to take in a sample ( can state first hand that this can be messy !) because its just possible that he has an infection such as guardia ( sp ) . Sam had a gut infection about a year or so ago and had a very strong antibiotic to clear it up , he lost weight too . Has he had chicken before ? I know some dogs find it too rich but thats usually when the skin is left on, hope he gets better soon x

3. charlie

charlie Registered Users

Hi Kate, yes he has had lots of chicken in the past and now without skin especially for training, maybe I should change my premium treat? What is guardia? Thanks very much Helen xxx :(

4. kateincornwall

Sorry Helen, spelt it wrong, its Giardia and its a sort of parasitic bug that can cause the trots, in people and animals . Not saying its likely to be this, in fact its unlikely as Charlie would seem unwell, but it could be a bug of some sorts, especially as he is used to having chicken ? See how he goes tomorrow and if he still has the runs, give the Vet a call x

5. Dexter

Dexter Moderator Forum Supporter

Kate I always bow to your experience but Helen , Dex had giardia and he wasn't unwell at all,just really runny poo.....with a greeny tinge.....it took 2 weeks to clear and 2 lots of antibiotics.Our vet ran the test in the surgery by 'obtaining' a sample and there was lots of emailing poo pictures back and forth during this period too.Id get him checked out just as a precaution if its occurring regularly,poor love.It might be something that's lingering in his tummy that is taking all the goodness from his food and can be cleared up really easily. X

6. charlie

charlie Registered Users

Charlie doesn't seem unwell just his usual self apart from the runny poo. I will call the vet tomorrow. Thank you both for your help. Helen x

7. kateincornwall

Thanks for that Angela , I always thought the dog would seem unwell with Giardia , good to have the facts thanks :)

8. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

If I recall correctly (not googled it ::) ) but I think giardia is often picked up from water. I remember about ice cubes and ice creams being a source for holidaymakers. I guess even though he may not be like Lilly and munch on half a dead bird/ fish/ rabbit or whatever is handy that a puddle or water source could be a source in this in the hot weather :-\

9. Karen

Karen Registered Users

Poor Charlie - and poor you! Hope you find out what is causing it soon.

10. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

My Charlie has sympathy runny poo with Helen's Charlie! I thought it was the dentastix, but that was the day before yesterday, so getting a bit worried now. If it hasn't cleared up by tomorrow I'm off to the vet.

11. charlie

charlie Registered Users

Oh poor Charlie, now you didn't have to come out in sympathy with my Charlie ;) Hope he is bit better Julie.

Now today Charlie's poo is normal so could this problem still be Giardia? Obviously couldn't ring the vet as a sample would be required and there was none. I am confussed, yesterday 4 or more splats today..... Helen x

12. charlie

charlie Registered Users

Julie, how is Charlie?

Sorry but can anyone help with this poo question, I am confused and not sure what to do now??

Thanks Helen xx :(

13. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

I think I would ask the vets advice Helen, if you are really worried.
    Lilly alternates a lot, but she does scavenge a bit. I am looking forward to the plums falling ::)
    I think myself if it was giardia it would be ongoing, not on and off.
    I think if Charlie is losing weight as well as having loose poops then I would be more worried - things like thyroid problems as well as gut infections would spring to my (NOT VET) mind.
    I know thats not really much of a help, but better to take him in or at least phone, rather than sitting worrying. :(

14. charlie

charlie Registered Users

Thanks Jac, it is very on and off every month or so he seems to get a bout of runny poos and then back to normal quickly, it's strange. David did tell the Vet this and she didn't seem worried, but was worried about his weight loss. Charlie is a real scavenger and we have had to replace our kitchen bin as he could open it by pressing his chin on it and then rading it. We now have a pedal bin, bless him he keeps going to it to try and figure out how to open it ::) It's only a matter of time ;D

Will give them a ring and hope they don't want a sample. Helen x