Salmon Oil

Discussion in 'Labrador Health' started by charlie, Apr 16, 2018.

1. charlie

charlie Registered Users

I have been thinking about adding salmon oil to Hattie & Charlie's daily meals. Is wild salmon oil better quality and it has Vitamin E added or just regular salmon oil?

Thank you as always :) xx

2. Beanwood

Beanwood Registered Users

I prefer wild salmon oil over farmed salmon. I use mainly this one. I buy it in one-litre bottles from Zooplus where it is often a very good price.

Nutrivet Inne Wild Salmon Oil

Emily_BabbelHund and charlie like this.
  3. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

Its on offer right now - just bought a bottle myself.
    Not used it before, but thought I would give it a go - I'm sure Lilly won't complain.

4. charlie

charlie Registered Users

Oooh thanks Kate, just popped that in my basket, that's an amazing price :) compared to Amazon at over £23 for 1L :eek: x

5. charlie

charlie Registered Users

I have been using the above salmon oil for about 6 weeks, seeing and feeling a real difference to Hattie & Charlie's coat :) The bottle says 7 pumps or so for their body weight, but this seems like a lot to me. Can I please ask what you all give your dogs? Thanks :) x

6. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

I give three to four pumps a day which is the level needed to keep Willow's coat shiny. They also get sardines and other oily fish to eat.

charlie likes this.
  7. charlie

charlie Registered Users

That's great Fiona, thanks. I will reduce it as they do get sardines a couple of times a week, their kibble is salmon & rice, also their treats are mostly dried fish skins :) x

8. Rosie

Rosie Registered Users

charlie likes this.
  9. charlie

charlie Registered Users

Thanks Rosie that's great to have. I have found some articles that claim salmon oil is bad for dogs, it all gets very confusing :confused: x

10. Rosie

Rosie Registered Users

I think the internet was created to confuse us!
    And yes, I've also read that very high doses of fish oil can have side effects, mainly because the oil is an anti-inflammatory, and "inflammation" itself is actually a helpful part of the immune process. But I believe that you'd need to be putting really high doses of oil in his diet before you'd need to worry too much about that.

As an aside, I love what the salmon oil does for Pongo's coat. The big ruff of fur round his neck is so incredibly soft and thick that I can just bury my face in it. Gorgeous.

charlie and drjs@5 like this.
  11. charlie

charlie Registered Users

Thanks again Rosie, note to self, "must stop reading the internet". The oil has made such a difference to their coats. Charlie's is so shiny and soft, Hattie's is lovely and soft so much so that other people have noticed. I am a little worried that maybe they have too much fish in their diet as I outlined above. Does anyone have any thoughts? Thanks as always :) x

12. QuinnM15

QuinnM15 Registered Users

@charlie I also have read pros and cons of salmon oil and held off because I wasn't sure if I should give it. I decided to just go ahead and buy some last night for Quinn's dry and itchy skin at the change of seasons. Our kibble does contain fish, and I also use fish based treats frequently as well as sardines/tuna for kongs, so to be safe I'm going to add slightly less oil than recommended on the bottle and have reduced her kibble slightly.

charlie likes this.
  13. charlie

charlie Registered Users

Thanks Ashley, I have reduced the amount of salmon oil by half. Good to know I'm not the only worry wart. x

14. QuinnM15

QuinnM15 Registered Users

You are not alone as a worry wart...if I have nothing to worry about, then I will find something! :D

MF and charlie like this.
  15. Beanwood

Beanwood Registered Users

hmmm.... think I will switch the brand we use to cold pressed when we reorder.

16. heidrun

heidrun Supporting Member Forum Supporter

I use Kronch cold pressed salmon oil which I believe is the supplier of the CSJ oil. It is very good, can highly recommend it!

Beanwood likes this.