Scared of the dark?

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by alschwahn, Oct 10, 2017.

1. alschwahn

alschwahn Registered Users

So Aspen is about 5 months and 2 weeks now, and when he eats in the morning I will let him out and he's fine being out by himself because it is still light out. However, as we are nearing winter, it will be dark in the mornings and gets darker even more quickly in the evening. Aspen won't go outside in the dark unless I go with him!

We have motion sense security lights than turn on for him too. The only way he will go out is if I go out with him, stand in the grass, and wait for him to go potty. Luckily I only have to do this once, then the rest of the night he will go out by himself.

I have never seen him unsure like this before. Is it bad? Should I stop going out with him?

2. SwampDonkey

SwampDonkey Registered Users

Mine liked me to go out with them when they were young. Just keep going out and their confidence grows with time.

alschwahn likes this.
  3. Atemas

Atemas Registered Users

I always go outside with Red who is now 10 months - my choice though - started off because we have two dogs and I didn’t want Red to interfere with Sky’s normal routine. Now it’s dark in the mornings and evenings, I take the big torch. I get to pick up the poos straight away :D. I see nothing wrong with you accompanying Aspen for the time being. They change so much as they grow - things are always evolving.

alschwahn likes this.
  4. kateincornwall

kateincornwall Registered Users

I always used to go out with Sam at night when he was a youngster , confidence will grow with maturity , don't worry x

alschwahn likes this.