Scent training help

Discussion in 'Labrador Training' started by Mikkel, Aug 15, 2021.

1. Mikkel

Mikkel Registered Users

Hi
    We are playing Find It a lot with our 14 week old puppy and she is very good at it.
    but have anyone got any tips for how to get her to just mark it when she have found the item?
    We started off just having her find food hidden around the garden which she obviously eats when finding it.
    just started using a small metal tin with a scent inside it but she likes to chew the tin when she finds it and most of the time no treat is good enough to swap for the tin.
    I have a very specific goal in mind for this, where i hope to train her to find lost arrows when doing field archery and obviously need her not to chew them when she find them.

2. 5labs

5labs Registered Users

Get her wild about a tennis ball, then, as soon as she indicates that she's found the item you want, thrown the ball. Very gradually build up the pause.

3. Mikkel

Mikkel Registered Users

Have gotten started now as i had gotten to the point where i was confident she would not chew the arrows.
    Been hiding an arrow in the garden, completely hidden by grass etc while she is inside and i am so impressed with how fast she finds it. She will indicate with her nose and if hidden well, paw at it which for my purpose is ok so i am well pleased as i havent really had to do anything but teach her what Arrow means/ is :) and she is only exactly 4 months old today