Scolding children

Discussion in 'Labrador Behavior' started by Johnny Walker, Jun 20, 2018.

1. Johnny Walker

Johnny Walker Registered Users

I don’t think that she’s not totally supportive, I think it’s a case of priorities and pregnancy combined with a bit of old school. She’s probably had 30 dogs in her life but they were raised for different purposes and in different ways. She’s trying but proud. We will work it out. Duggans mat is in the space that borders both the kitchen and living room in an open concept plan. We are gonna move his area to the back of the living room and get him a crate where he can get away from her when he wants, to a space that’s not literally in the highest traffic area. He is used to a pen and likes confined areas so I think he’ll be happy there until I can run the stress out of him in a few months. After asking more questions to my wife she mentioned that the behaviourist noted how Duggans body language in the vets office suggested that he wanted space from my daughter. I’m very glad this group has educated me about growling and how to use it effectively. In my home a growling dog got reprimanded, probably why I was bitten several times growing up. Well, than and I was an a$$.

edzbird likes this.
  2. Xena Dog Princess

Xena Dog Princess Registered Users

Did your wife take this on board? I mean, toddlers are mostly unpleasant, and it's not incomprehensible that Duggan would be annoyed with her. Or maybe he just doesn't like children, which is ok too. Maybe he'll be less annoyed once he's back to full exercise or maybe he won't like her until she's much older, who knows. One of the most important things to teach kids is to respect the bodily autonomy of others, and this extends to pets. This is a great learning opportunity for your kid, so seize this opportunity.

3. Johnny Walker

Johnny Walker Registered Users

They used to be inseparable.

4. Xena Dog Princess

Xena Dog Princess Registered Users

I know you get it, but you've got to deal with the dog in front of you. Cool, they used to be besties, but Duggan's older now and sore and your daughter's older and more annoying. Personalities change. Hopefully they'll go back to being buds but for whatever reason Duggan's currently "over it" so everybody has to respect that.

selina27 and Johnny Walker like this.