Season

Discussion in 'Labrador Breeding & Genetics' started by Karen, Mar 12, 2015.

1. Karen

Karen Registered Users

Re: Season

Oh yes, I am sure she will be very, um, supportive.. :D In all ways.

The best thing about this dog is that he is a very calm, chilled character. So many of the working line dogs here in Germany are too hyped up for my liking. That said, he is mustard keen - but no noise or fuss out of him. Quite a lot like Poppy, really, which was what first made me think they would be a good pair.

2. Beanwood

Beanwood Registered Users

Oh wow how exciting! Benson is also very excited...and has his bag packed already...plus a supply of kong tennis balls.... :) :)

3. Karen

Karen Registered Users

Oof. Just back from a rather stressful walk, in which I had to grab two male dogs by the collar and yell for their owners to rescue us... Not both at the same time, luckily! Clearly the morning walk is going to have to be a lot earlier, before anyone else is out and about!! :eek:

4. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Stressful indeed! Glad you managed ok.

5. Karen

Karen Registered Users

It was fine, all managed with good humour and apologies on both sides. :)

You'd love the big chocolate lab, Caddie, Julie. He's really gorgeous, reminds me a lot of your Charlie, from your descriptions. Poppy really told him off though - did NOT want his nose up her bottom!!!

6. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

;D ;D ;D

My Charlie is an awful coward - he is confident to approach, but if a bitch even looks at him the wrong way, he legs it. He learned his lesson from a greyhound bitch, a teaching dog, who impressed very firmly on him the inappropriateness of a young boy gluing his nose to girls' bottoms (she wasn't in season though, of course).

7. heidrun

heidrun Supporting Member Forum Supporter

[quote author=Karen link=topic=10164.msg149407#msg149407 date=1426331609]
    It was fine, all managed with good humour and apologies on both sides. :)

You'd love the big chocolate lab, Caddie, Julie. He's really gorgeous, reminds me a lot of your Charlie, from your descriptions. Poppy really told him off though - did NOT want his nose up her bottom!!!
    [/quote]

There is a big choc boy lab out there called Caddie??? How funny! ;D ;)

8. kateincornwall

kateincornwall Registered Users

Oh Karen, what a handsome dog that potential sire is , lovely stance he has , exciting times ahead :)

9. charlie

charlie Registered Users

Good for you Poppy, these boys need telling!! ;D xx

10. Dexter

Dexter Moderator Forum Supporter

Ah I'm sorry that the timing means you will miss some things you have been working for Karen,but all sounds good for your plans going forward....I think I'll' Pop ' with excitement when Pops pops with puppies!Can you imagine the buzz on here. ;D ;D. ;D...unless anything changes ,she will be Matriach to the first Forum Litter ;D

11. Karen

Karen Registered Users

[quote author=heidrun link=topic=10164.msg149415#msg149415 date=1426333345]

There is a big choc boy lab out there called Caddie??? How funny! ;D ;)
    [/quote]

I think short for Cadbury! :)

12. bbrown

bbrown Moderator Forum Supporter

When Riley met Caddie he just looked at her sideways from about 5metres away and she decided (quite rightly in my opinion) that he was a rude young dog and before he pushed his luck she put him firmly in his place ;D

Unfortunately this doesn't seem to have translated to all dogs and he's usually willing to be cheeky and see if he gets away with it. I pop him back on his lead if I think he's being too pushy but I'm always amazed at the people that say it's fine. It wouldn't have been fine by me if the bitch was my dog and looking that uncomfortable :-\

13. heidrun

heidrun Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Caddie is a funny one. She hates any attention from male dogs and had to fight off a few marauding Clumbers in her time. So now she will not tolerate any nonsense whatsoever. :D

14. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

Just spotted this thread.
    Love the look of the possible sire (in my uneducated in gun dogs way).
    Particularly his head.

Good luck with Poppy-protecting!

15. bbrown

[quote author=heidrun link=topic=10164.msg149508#msg149508 date=1426359618]
    Caddie is a funny one. She hates any attention from male dogs and had to fight off a few marauding Clumbers in her time. So now she will not tolerate any nonsense whatsoever. :D
    [/quote]

I like her no nonsense attitude :) there was definitely an element of "work to be done here! Pay attention!" in it too as if she couldn't even countenance this social palava when there might be pheasants to be found. She's totally awesome and a joy to watch work ;D

16. Karen

Karen Registered Users

Interesting. We went to a training session yesterday, with trainer Albert and his 8-year-old Golden Retriever Tyler, and my friend Michaela and her black lab Nellie. We went to a quiet secluded area where there usually aren't any other dogs around. I thought it would all be disastrous and end up with Tyler having to be put in the car - but no, he was a perfect gentleman! He was interested in Poppy, but not obnoxiously so.

I wonder if it is because we were in a 'working' situation, so the dogs were concentrated on retrieving? Or maybe it's because Tyler is quite an experienced old chap, and could tell that it wasn't worth pestering Pops yet, still too early in her season? Anyway, it reminded me of a couple of threads on here, about why working dogs tend not to be neutered.

17. bbrown

I guess if everyone in class is happy their dogs wouldn't be affected that's great. I know Riley isn't the best behaved dog in the world but neither is he the worst and at almost four years old I would have very little confidence that he'd be able to concentrate. There's no question of the girls coming to class during their season where we train.

18. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

It just must depend on the dog. Yesterday, I had Charlie off lead and saw a large yellow labrador on lead coming down the path like a steam train, towing its owner behind it. I stepped out of the way off the path and told Charlie sit. He sat and we both watched the dog tow the lady down the path...

The owner puffed out "thanks, she's in season, so I need to keep her on lead". Charlie didn't move. And it's not like his sit is all that solid anyway....but not the slightest bit of interest from him.

19. Karen

Karen Registered Users

[quote author=bbrown link=topic=10164.msg149810#msg149810 date=1426504187]
    I guess if everyone in class is happy their dogs wouldn't be affected that's great. I know Riley isn't the best behaved dog in the world but neither is he the worst and at almost four years old I would have very little confidence that he'd be able to concentrate. There's no question of the girls coming to class during their season where we train.
    [/quote]

Well I agree Barbara; I was surprised Albert wanted to do it. But we are training as a team, and due to Poppy's season, and the Easter break, we'll only be able to train together one more time before our competition in April. I think he is taking it very seriously!!! ;D ;D ;D

20. bbrown

Oooooh are you in a team with the trainer? Go head girl!!!! ;D

Good news his boy is happy to work with an alluring Pops. No puppies yet though!!!