Season

Discussion in 'Labrador Breeding & Genetics' started by Karen, Mar 12, 2015.

1. Karen

Karen Registered Users

Re: Season

It's not quite as grand as it sounds; it is a competition for teams of three, with two beginners and a veteran dog (age 8 and over). It's going to be a lot of fun!!!

2. bbrown

bbrown Moderator Forum Supporter

Yeah sure because your trainer will of course have picked the weakest dogs for his team out of an act of charity which obviously is why he wants to practise even though Poppy is in season......

::) ::) ::)

3. Karen

Karen Registered Users

Weeeeellllll ... I think he thinks we have a good chance of doing well. I suspect he thinks this is THE CHANCE for Tyler to come somewhere in the top few for once...

BUT - it does have to be said that Tyler has a mind of his own. Sometimes he is really very good; sometimes when the mood takes him he just stops to sniff the flowers and have a wee. It drives Albert mad!!! (Makes me laugh ;D ).

I go to two different trainers; Albert is by far the more relaxed and easy-going of the two. My other trainer would never, ever pick us to be on a team with him!!!

4. Karen

Karen Registered Users

Poor Pops - she is very fed up.

I walk her very early in the morning, and then again just at dusk, to avoid other dogs. OH walks her during the day, right up high in the hills, so she is getting enough exercise, but she is clearly feeling very hormonal. Bit moody and withdrawn. I took another female labrador out walking with us the other evening, thinking it would cheer her up - normally the two of them have crazy hoolies together, but Poppy wouldn't play with her at all..

On the other hand, she went crazy when we bumped into next-door's little white fluffy male dog yesterday. She was all over him - pawing him, play bowing, really flirting. It was almost embarrassing. Luckily he is neutered! Poor thing, he looked terribly confused by this sudden outpouring of interest from the normally aloof Poppy.. ;D ;D ;D

5. Dexter

Dexter Moderator Forum Supporter

An it's miserable for you seeing her out of her usual sorts ,chin up Mrs Pops,this time will pass ,tummy rubs from us in the meantime x

6. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Oh dear..soon be over, hopefully.

7. bbrown

bbrown Moderator Forum Supporter

brazen hussy ! She's all about the boys like a moody teenage girl ;)

8. Karen

Karen Registered Users

[quote author=bbrown link=topic=10164.msg150644#msg150644 date=1426786817]
    brazen hussy ! She's all about the boys like a moody teenage girl ;)
    [/quote]

Yup, fraid so!! She also seems very interested in the Bad Boys (the aggressive GSP and his Weimaraner sidekick) from down the road.. Danced by their fence while they were howling in their garden this evening.. ::)

9. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Typical Head Girl, with an eye for the wild ones ;)

10. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Not such a goody two shoes now, eh? ;D ;D ;D

11. Karen

Karen Registered Users

[quote author=JulieT link=topic=10164.msg150677#msg150677 date=1426796616]
    Not such a goody two shoes now, eh? ;D ;D ;D
    [/quote]

No indeed :eek: You should have seen her this morning - I was walking early, around 07:00, and Cody (a very lovely Gebirgsschweisshund, or tracking hound) came charging up, no owner in sight... Poppy and he were embarrassingly delighted to see each other, and I had to clip her lead on his collar and walk about a mile back along the forest track until I found his owner and was able to hand him back.. Actually that sounds quite calm and collected, but it was quite stressful at the time.

I'll be glad when these next few days are over. While Cody/Poppy puppies would have been absolutely adorable, out of choice I would prefer not!!! Every entire male dog in the area is now fully aware that Poppy is the IT girl of the moment, and any walks are similar to a high-alert military maneuver.

I think I won't walk her in the mornings or evenings for the next few days - OH walks her in the afternoon right up high in the hills where no one is around, and we've been playing lots of games in the garden with her. Her favourite is 'Easter Egg Dummy Hunt', where we hide her 18 dummies all around the garden (hung from bushes, hidden under logs, deep in leaf piles, etc), and then send her to search for them. This is great fun, and keeps her very busy. It's also been useful as a training tool, both for good clean delivery to hand, and also for a quick pickup and immediate return. :)

We're supposed to be driving to the UK at the weekend, so keep your fingers crossed she is ok to travel (and stay with our mothers) by then!

12. Dexter

Dexter Moderator Forum Supporter

Oh gosh,it's such a tricky time to manage...I hope she is as keen when you introduce her to her true love next year ;D

13. Naya

Naya Registered Users

I can only imagine how difficult it is to keep the boys away from Poppy as she is so pretty
    Hope you enjoy your trip to the UK

14. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Staying at home sounds like a plan...must be stressful.

[quote author=Karen link=topic=10164.msg152000#msg152000 date=1427280752]
    where we hide her 18 dummies
    [/quote]

Oh good. That makes me feel better. I have just ordered a new storage unit for Charlie's collection...

15. Karen

Karen Registered Users

I think I was in denial about the dummies... I was sure we had no more than 10. But I had forgotten to include the three old ones, out of commission (but not thrown away). Or the two hexabumpers. Or the smart new dummy we won at a working test last year. Or the mini dummy. Or the dummy-on-a-string... ::)

16. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

And so on.... ;D ;D ;D

17. Karen

Karen Registered Users

She's stopped weeing every three minutes, is a lot more cheerful and cuddly, and has almost stopped bleeding. We're still on high alert (and the male dogs still think she is hot stuff), but I'm sure we can drive to the UK on Sunday.

Oh, almost forgot - when I got home yesterday, Barney the Australian Shepherd from two doors down had escaped from his house and got into our garden. Poppy was safely indoors, but in his frustration he had thrown my wellies and walking boots around in the front garden and upturned a few flower pots!!! :eek: ::)

18. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Good news about the trip!

There seems to be a lot of intact male dogs in your neighbourhood. Do a lot of people kept male dogs intact in Germany?

19. Karen

Karen Registered Users

We made a list yesterday of the entire male dogs that we know around:

Sepp and Ben (GSP and Weimaraner)
    Winnie the Whippet
    Timmy the Portuguese Water Spaniel
    Finn the Bernese Mountain Dog
    Barney the Australian Shepherd
    Caddie the Chocolate Lab
    Codie the Gebirgsschweisshund
    Little Dachshund (don't know his name)
    Young white German Shepherd (but may be neutered once he is older)

Neutered male dogs:
    Tony the Catalan Shepherd
    Linus the Golden Retriever
    Seppi the Havana white fluffy creature
    Oscar the hairy shepherd mongrel

So yes, I suppose there are quite a few entire males. There are lots of female dogs in the neighborhood too - but interestingly I can't think offhand of any other entire bitches. So what I think has happened, is that owners of bitches tend to spay their dogs, and as a result the owners of male dogs are not in such a hurry to have their dogs neutered.

20. Penny+Me

Penny+Me Registered Users

In the early years of the dogs homes I have worked at I know that they only used to neuter females and not bother with the males. It's only recently (last 10-20 years maybe) that they have started to neuter males as well.

Makes sense - if one sex is neutered and not the other you still won't be making babies!