Seasonal Canine illness

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by Sunshine86, Jan 3, 2020.

1. Sunshine86

Sunshine86 Registered Users

Does anyone know anything about this illness? We are due to be going on holiday to the new forest in August and taking Zeus with us. I have just been reading that this illness can be a problem August through to November and can be fatal. I had never heard of it before now but starting to have a bit of a panic.

2. J.D

J.D Registered Users

3. mummyp85

mummyp85 Registered Users

We live near Sandringham where it first came to light several years ago. All responsible foresters put up notices where there are known areas for this but that doesn't mean everywhere else is clear. The cause still doesn't seem to be known but there is information on the net on how to take precautions, what to try and avoid, keep dogs on leads and on main pathways and avoid letting them run freely in undergrowth or stagnant water. It is seasonal and apparently is no longer a problem after very cold spells, Frost's and snow but no proof to back up. Just play safe and read up about Canine Seasonal Disorder on RSPCA site, APHA, and Forestry Commission. As this happens every year round this area we just tend to avoid all woodlands from October to End of December. It is seasonal as the name says and they are continuously trying to find the cause. Not sure if it has ever occurred in Hampshire but just check before you go and take on board the advice given. More concerning at this time of year is keeping dogs away from dead birds as Bird Flu has returned. My post may sound ominous, sorry for that but it's a matter of common sense and just being aware of things. One of the main things advocated on woodland walks is carry plenty of water to stop pup drinking from puddles and stagnant areas. At the end of the day there are so many dangers in the big wide world for our precious pups but as with all things, as owners all we can do is try our hardest to protect them.

4. 5labs

5labs Registered Users

One of my spaniels got this 4 or 5 years ago from the Sandringham estate in early September. They were looking into a link between harvest mites and SCI. My spaniel had loads of harvest mites, not just between his toes where one would expect them, but if you parted the fur, they were all the way up his legs. I had been quartering him the the bracken and undergrowth the day before.
    For preventatives, if you can avoid the woods/undergrowth, that's a start, also spray between the toes with Frontline spray and check carefully through the fur for harvest mites.

5. Sunshine86

Sunshine86 Registered Users

Thank you all, unfortunately can’t really avoid the woods as we are staying in a cottage right in the new forest. The cottage is literally surrounded by woods. We go every year (first year with Zeus) and we spend the whole week walking in the woods. Now I really don’t know what to do.

6. 5labs

5labs Registered Users

Enjoy your holiday! Be diligent and check right between the toes and spay with Frontline. There are thousands of dogs walked in the area so a comparatively few affected.

7. mummyp85

mummyp85 Registered Users

Like 5labs says, enjoy your holiday. Just take the recommended precautions. We have now started walking in local woodlands again but don't let Hero off leash to rummage in the wet and mud and we rinse his paws well after and check them. Think I worry more about him eating fungus, carrion and goodness knows what else if I let him roam. Just do as you would normally do to protect your doggie against the myriad of dangers in the outside world and try not to worry about it any more than with anything else