Seizure log - local and global patterns?

Discussion in 'Labrador Health' started by MF, Apr 2, 2017.

1. MF

MF Registered Users

Does anyone know if there's a global seizure log where dog owners record their dogs' seizures to see if a pattern emerges?

Last night Snowie had a seizure, the first since a year ago. This morning I took him onto the mountain (up the road) for a short walk where we met a woman with her two dogs. First time we've met although she lives close by. Our dogs were delighted to trot along together so she and I chatted as we walked along the path. She has a 4 yo Jack Russell and a 13 yo brown Lab-size "pavement special".

Out of the blue she mentions that her JR had a terrible night, he had a seizure. Also the first time in a year. How's that for coincidence?! Got me thinking if there's a seasonal pattern or some other kind of pattern, and how useful it would be if we had a global log so that we could look back and see if patterns emerge.

2. Karen

Karen Registered Users

I don't know about that; but my vet did mention that dogs who are susceptible to intermittent seizures are most likely to get them in spring and in autumn, something about the change of seasons I guess.

3. MF

MF Registered Users

Fascinating re the seasons - I was also thinking Snowie's itchiness is worse when the seasons change, when he molts.

My vet didn't specify a particular pattern but did say to watch for a pattern. Initially it seemed Snowie's seizures coincided every 4-6 months with the full moon, so every full moon I was on tenterhooks! Funnily enough I noticed the moon last night when I was closing the curtains cos it was setting early and it looked magnificent over the sea: a yellow sickle. Not a full moon!

4. Snowshoe

Snowshoe Registered Users

@Karen mentionned change of seasons. I get migraines more frequently in spring and fall when the weather is up and down and barometric pressure is flip flopping up and down. So I wondered if there might be a connection with seizures and wha'd'ya know, there is. It's in humans, a link to epilepsy, but maybe dogs experience the same thing. My god, I hope dogs don't get migraines. We can see seizures and do something about them.

I can only see the first page here but even that is very interesting.

http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/843215_3

5. Stacia

Stacia Registered Users

Get in touch with The Phyllis Croft Foundation for Canine Epilepsy and they would be sure to know if there was a global seizure log.

MF likes this.
  6. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

@Snowshoe I have a log in for this site - hopefully the full PDF is attached here for you to read - not done so myself as yet!

Attached Files:

7. Anne123

Anne123 Registered Users

8. Emily

Emily Registered Users

Sorry to hear Snowie had a seizure, hope he's feeling better today.

It's weird how things are triggered by the change in seasons. Our son has suffered three serious bouts of bronchiolitis that have landed him in ICU. Each one has been 6 months apart, on the change of season. The drs say they always get cases at the same time.

MF likes this.
  9. MF

MF Registered Users

Interestingly I've had a week of bad migraines. I certainly hope Snowie doesn't get them. Although I'm guessing he doesn't feel great anticipating a seizure, hence his behavior. He was also sleeping more deeply and in fact just lay on his bed when we came home on the day of the seizure (15 hours before the seizure). We just assumed he'd no idea how long we'd been out (about 1.5 hrs) and didn't treat us as having been away for that long. But in hindsight I think it was a sign of the seizure to come.

10. MF

MF Registered Users

Thank you! It's 21 pages so I'll read it later after work. Can't wait!

drjs@5 likes this.
  11. MF

MF Registered Users

12. MF

MF Registered Users

Very good idea!! I'll do that.