Senior Labrador Diet

Discussion in 'Senior Labradors' started by Elle M, Sep 4, 2018.

1. Elle M

Elle M Registered Users

Hi all, I am here for some guidance on revising my 10 year old boy’s diet. He has put on some weight despite a lean diet comprising duck meat, vegetables and broth. He has some snacks during the day in the form of half a fruit or some chopped vegetables. The vet says I need to cut out root vegetables entirely - such as sweet potatoes, carrots etc, but says not to increase the meat/ protein intake. What other vegetables can I offer him - as of now recommendations include spinach, broccoli, cauliflower. He does not eat commercial food or treats and exercises for 30 mins a day (nothing strenuous, two short 15 min walks a day). Any guidance on how to make his meals leaner would be so welcome. Thank you!

2. tom@labforumHQ

tom@labforumHQ Administrator Staff Member

Hi Elle, welcome to the forum! Hope you find the advice you need on here :)

3. Elle M

Elle M Registered Users

Thank you! This is such a wonderful community.

4. Beanwood

Beanwood Registered Users

Hi @Elle M, I can see where your vet is coming from, sweet potatoes contain carbs and 100g = 87 calories so although low, you could swap in favour of cooked broccoli perhaps? Broccoli contains fewer calories and is lower in carbs I believe than carrots, although the difference would be negligible.

Older dogs still need a good protein and fat source, so I imagine your vet would rather you cut out other calorie sources.

I was also wondering if it would help to vary protein sources, for example salmon which contains less calories but good quantities of healthy fats than duck.

I have an older labrador and can really empathise, it is a real struggle to keep his weight down. I do try and keep his protein levels up, he is currently on a diet of raw, with added veggies and fruits. He has a varied protein sources, white fish, salmon, game, lamb and turkey :)

tom@labforumHQ likes this.