Separation anxiety on a walk?

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by Rachel S, May 8, 2017.

1. Rachel S

Rachel S Registered Users

i have a lovely puppy whi is now just over 12 weeks, we've had her since she was 8 weeks. She's doing tremendously well around the house. Almost there with house training, she's not whining when left, has "sit" nailed and is getting there with "down" and "leave". She seems to want to retrieve naturally too!
    All this goes out of the window however, when we go for a walk. I'm guessing it's just because everything is so new and exciting that it's too much to think about.
    What is more of a problem on a walk is her apparent separation anxiety. She is fine when both me and my partner take her out together, and she runs about in the field rounding us up (normal pack behaviours so I understand). However, if one of us goes out without the other she can be reluctant to go past the ed of the road unless she's carried and when she is off the lead is contanstly looking for the other. When making our way home she pulls on the lead so much until we're home and she's rounded up the other member of the family. Is this normal? Will it improve with time? Is there anything I can do to help other than just persevere?

2. Boogie

Boogie Supporting Member Forum Supporter

This isn't unusual. Carry her to the end of the walk, then walk back. It's not separation anxiety, she just prefers the family to be together - all dogs do. Don't let her pull you home 'tho, stop or turn back at any sign of pulling.

I'll never forget my friend phoning me, her first ever dog is Zaba - he was 12 weeks old and on his first walks. She phoned me in tears "I got this puppy so we can go on walks and he woon't waaaaalk!" He's four now and a confident, happy dog. They have long long lovely walks.

All my pups have been like this, they soon grow out of it :)

Plum's mum and selina27 like this.
  3. Rachel S

Rachel S Registered Users

Fantastic advice, thanks so much. Good to hear it's not just us!