Separation anxiety

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by Debs, Jun 19, 2014.

1. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

Re: Separation anxiety

Lovely leggy blond :)
    Hope all is well.

2. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

I like the ASPCA website for lots of things (not everything though). There is a helpful looking section on separation anxiety:

http://www.aspca.org/pet-care/virtual-pet-behaviorist/dog-behavior/separation-anxiety

I swear by kongs, I leave Charlie a lot (not excessively, and I have a dog walker come in 2 or 3 times if he is left longer than usual - who walks him and gives him more kongs) - getting Charlie addicted to chewing kongs, and going into the mass production of low cal frozen kongs, has been a big success story for us. That and being very careful about building up time away slowly but very frequently and so on.

3. Debs

Debs Registered Users

Morning all! Thanks for all your suggestions and comments. :)

Well, just back from leaving Miss Maisie for 1.5hrs, as I had to take my youngest to the Orthodontist (very exciting!). I got ready while she was occupied with the kids and then put a couple of Kongs in the crate, one frozen and stuffed and the other was just smeared with peanut butter around the insides and not frozen.

She was barking when I got back, and was again over excited, and making her funny little noises, but was more interested in retrieving the frozen kong from her crate that she hadn't touched! She'd licked the peanut butter out of the other kong. She is now asleep in the sunshine. I don't think she slept while we were out as she is very sleepy and she hasn't had a walk yet today.

Onwards and upwards 8)

4. Penny+Me

Penny+Me Registered Users

Perhaps she just is really excited to see you're back and the process of being left might not bother her as much as you worry it does.

She can probably hear you coming back eg. Car doors slamming, garden gates opening and closing, keys in the lock and that might be when she starts barking. I swear Penny even recognises the car engine as she knows when my OH has pulled up outside the house!

Still sounds like your making positive steps, so keep up the good work!

5. Debs

Debs Registered Users

Thanks Lauren, it's all a huge learning curve this doggy business isn't it!! I'm hoping that her funny little noises and behaviour is excitement and this is just how she shows it! She is teething like mad as well, so hopefully when that calms down, she may calm a bit as well! I don't know what I'd do without yours and everyone's comments ;D

6. Penny+Me

Penny+Me Registered Users

Oh yes, the teething will probably unsettle her too, although some dogs don't appear phased by it at all - Penny certainly wasn't. It was just a shock for us when we would be playing with a toy and then find one of her teeth on the floor!! :eek:

I found that Penny liked a soaked frozen tea towel tied in a knot. Mostly she just liked to suck on it!! It's a shame they don't make those baby teething rings with the gel inside that you freeze or refrigerate for dogs.... There could be a good market for those...

7. Debs

Debs Registered Users

That sounds a good idea, I'll go and do one now! ;D

8. Boogie

Boogie Supporting Member Forum Supporter

I also would try not to have any kind of 'ceremony' when you walk in the door. No eye contact, no fuss, no getting out of crate immediately - just you pottering around putting the shopping away etc for 15 minutes or so (build this up gradually). Then let her out when she's calm and quiet, still no big deal. The same when you come down in the morning.

That way the dog doesn't anticipate your return in terms of an exciting event - just a normal part of the day.

I have done this with all my dogs (one who was a rescue with separation anxiety) and it works a treat :)

9. Debs

Debs Registered Users

Great, thanks for that Mags.....operation "get used to me not being here" is underway!! ;D

10. JohnL

JohnL Registered Users

Great thread people. I hope I'll be able to avoid separation issues with Chester when I get him by following the advice given here. Cheers all ;)