September training

Discussion in 'Labrador Training' started by JulieT, Sep 1, 2014.

1. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Re: September training

[quote author=bbrown link=topic=7616.msg108019#msg108019 date=1410200797]
    Apart from a quick glance at the cameraman he was straight back :D
    [/quote]

Just checkin' they were getting his good side.

Yes, happy. :) :) :)

I've had only one run around in the last week - and a couple of very lazy single small circles around me. Definitely getting there. This is never going to go away, I think I'll have to manage it forever, but at least we are significantly improving! The more excited he is, the more he is inclined to run round.

2. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

[quote author=charlie link=topic=7616.msg108021#msg108021 date=1410200966]
    That's great Charlie :). Is there a reason you blew your recall command twice Julie? x
    [/quote]

I always do on a retrieve - habit, I suppose. It's how he learned his recall cue, running towards me with a retrieve.

3. Stacia

Stacia Registered Users

Excellent. I don't think it matters if you blow the recall twice on the way back as the dog is not ignoring the whistle :) It could be seen as encouraging.

4. Karen

Karen Registered Users

Gosh, I'd say full marks there!! Perfect! :)

5. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

:) :) :)

6. Karen

Karen Registered Users

You must be feeling pretty chipper about that? Seriously, looks really great!

7. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

I'm pretty much over the moon.

Walking holds, walking holds, walking holds....Clicker retrieve, again, again. Short retrieve, more short retrieves. Arguments with OH about how long he was going to place dummies around Wimbledon Common...it's been a massive push.

Feel I'm getting there.... :) :) :)

Like I say, the running round thing won't go away. I've got months to go before it wouldn't be a problem in an exciting environment. But the joy when he brings it back in a straight line. It's worth it!

8. Karen

Karen Registered Users

Brilliant! Really pleased for you, after all your hard work. We'll have your choccie show lab entering working tests yet, showing those snooty working line labs a thing or two... :)

9. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

;D ;D ;D

Gundog grade 1, for sure, I think! That'd be ok for us.

10. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Oh! Oh! I forgot to say!

I don't think Charlie will be gun shy (not that it matters, anyway). Because as I got to the Common, one of the fields was surrounded by police cars - I just shrugged and went to the woods instead of my normal field. In the middle of one of his retrieves there was the most incredible BOOM!

Later, we found out it was the detonation of a suspect package on my training field! They didn't keep us out of the area, just plonked the package down and blew it up! ;D ;D ;D

http://www.wimbledonguardian.co.uk/..._was_suspicious_package_detonation/?ref=var_0

Me and my dog walker jumped out of our skins. Charlie just fetched his dummy.

11. Stacia

Stacia Registered Users

Good Lord! We had similar but it was about five miles away; we were on top of the common when BOOM, a suspect bomb from WW1 was blown up.

You are doing fantastically well and put me to shame. I am sitting here typing with both my Labs sleeping when I should be practicing the hold (want no 2 Lab to hold dummy in middle even though he is a fantastic retriever) I want a straight sit at heel etc etc etc :) I don't know how you fit it all in and work ;D

12. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

[quote author=Stacia link=topic=7616.msg108192#msg108192 date=1410255148]
    I don't know how you fit it all in and work ;D
    [/quote]

I'm lucky right now, I'm working at home. Frees up 2 hours a day when I would otherwise be commuting. That time is Charlie's - 2 hours is a lot. Sometimes I don't even get the dishwasher stacked, but hey. ;D ;D ;D

13. Jen

Jen Registered Users

Wow Julie.

It's only the 9th and you've both achieved so much already in your September training it's fantastic. ;D

14. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

It's gone really well. :). Having a trainer I trust has made the world of difference. Plus the week away helped enormously. I'm till training the things I learned there.

Apart from target cones. That's not going well. Charlie is now learning to target bricks because they are the only thing he won't bring back with him. No matter how much clicking I do for him keeping his mouth closed. Seriously. ::) Feeling a bit of a failure with that!

15. Dexter

Dexter Moderator Forum Supporter

[quote author=JulieT link=topic=7616.msg108325#msg108325 date=1410283360]
    Feeling a bit of a failure with that!
    [/quote]

Yes you should ! Just do better! ;D ;D ;D ;D

No seriously ,REALLY well done,and I agree with Jen you are only a 1/3 month in!super results x

I can't see the video...it must be flickr playing up at the mo though if everyone else watched it.....I'll look in again later x

16. bbrown

bbrown Moderator Forum Supporter

Have you tried duck taping the bricks to the cones so he can't move the cones? Then when he stops trying you can go back to lightweight ones.....or fill the cones with builders sand in big food bags or something ;D

I tell you what, that Charlie brings out the creative side in you doesn't he ;D

17. UncleBob

UncleBob Supporting Member Forum Supporter

[quote author=JulieT link=topic=7616.msg108325#msg108325 date=1410283360]... Charlie is now learning to target bricks because they are the only thing he won't bring back with him ...[/quote]
    You do realise that Charlie may see that statement as a challenge don't you? ;) I can see it now, the ultimate gundog challenge, bricks wrapped in rabbit fur!

18. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

[quote author=UncleBob link=topic=7616.msg108480#msg108480 date=1410340376]
    the ultimate gundog challenge, bricks wrapped in rabbit fur!
    [/quote]

;D ;D ;D ;D

He won't stop fetching the cones - I can get one session going, but the next time we're back to zero on it. I just got tired of "don't pick up the cone" training, when I wanted to do the target training.

The cones I have are pretty flimsy, I might do better with bigger, heavier ones (I'm not sure that I can fill the ones I have with sand in a practical way). But I also got tired of buying stuff/waiting for stuff to be delivered.

So I put bricks round the base of the cones, then got lazy and just used a brick. ::)

I can see that it's going to get impractical quite soon though. Like as soon as I want to take it out of the garden....

Oh well. ::)

My placeboards from sporting saint have just arrived (left my posh purple ones in Cornwall) so can do that today, instead.

19. bbrown

bbrown Moderator Forum Supporter

I know what you mean.....sometimes you just want to DO something rather than think about it or plan it or buy stuff :)

20. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Exactly! Seem to have spent all week waiting for lunge whips, cones, placeboards, new soft dummies (new trainer didn't like my dummies)...blah blah.