Shall I get my boy neutered

Discussion in 'Labrador Training' started by Shilohs mum, Jan 20, 2021.

1. Shilohs mum

Shilohs mum Registered Users

My boy is 13 months now can anyone one advise me as soon as I let him off the lead now he is humping other dogs especially chocolate labs he’s not fussy could be male or female dogs other from that he is a loving boy gentle and loves to play with other dogs thinking of getting him neutered will this stop his humping or is it a dominant thing

2. J.D

J.D Registered Users

From experience it didn’t stop the humping but it did stop other neutered males attacking him. Lots of pros and cons.

3. Shilohs mum

Shilohs mum Registered Users

Ok thank you

4. SRW

SRW Registered Users

5. Deboragh

Deboragh Registered Users

I've only had female dogs so can't comment from personal experience. But friends from be the dog park report that humping doesn't change after neutering, but as others have noted, it does reduce aggressive behaviour directed towards their dog by other male dogs. Not sure which decision I'd make. With females the benefits of neutering are more clear cut to me.

6. Bernard Shaw

Bernard Shaw Registered Users

He’s very young. Give him lots of exercise. Use recall training. If sexual behavior stays as intense many vets say neuter. However not doing this can assist him to stay lean and fit into old age. There is a small risk of developing cancer so you must get him tested as grows older. Our 11 year old lab is lean fit and very healthy and vet feels he’s got 3-4 more years in him at least. All my previous retrievers were fixed and passed at 11-12. No simple answers but worth giving him a little time to sort out himself with your help