Shedding season

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by Nyah Le, Apr 14, 2020.

1. Nyah Le

Nyah Le Registered Users

I’ve just got my 2 months old puppy for about 3 weeks, and I’ve noticed that he’s been shedding a lot. In the past, I had dogs, but I have never had experience with raising a Labrador. Labrador seems to shed a lot right. I’ve have asthma, so I’m a little bit worried.
    I want to know more about their shedding seasons and how you guys copping with it (like about grooming time, or shower time, etc). Thanks guys.

SullyBear likes this.
  2. J.D

J.D Registered Users

Mine is shedding his winter coat at the moment but there doesn’t seem to be a particular season for the other occasions.The worst time is going to the vet when he gets stressed and I come out covered in fur.They are better not washed unless absolutely necessary. You can buy a comb that strips out the worst of it.

Nyah Le likes this.
  3. Edp

Edp Registered Users

Labs are pretty well known for shedding . It's a low level shed all year then periods of increased shedding. Meg is loosing a lot at the moment, now is probably the worst time as it's her winter coat going. I brush her outside. I just brush her with an ordinary brush, nothing fancy. She loves being brushed.

SullyBear likes this.
  4. Ski-Patroller

Ski-Patroller Cooper, Terminally Cute

We say Labs shed 2x per year, each time for 6 months :eek:. It is worse in the Spring and Fall, but it goes on all year. A lot of brushing and a vacuum with a HEPA filter will help. Cooper does not like being brushed, but we have gradually convenced her that it is OK, as long as she gets treats. A Furminator works really well, though a lot of dogs don't particularly like them.

5. Labbielov

Labbielov Registered Users

Just about to do my daily exercise with the hoover :) the joys of having a lab.

Christina2807 and Edp like this.
  6. lucy@labforumHQ

lucy@labforumHQ Administrator Forum Supporter

Labs are prolific shedders, but it won't necessarily cause you issues with your asthma. Dog hair has never set mine off, thankfully!

The best solution as people have said is to invest in a good brush and vacuum. Some Labradors seem to only shed significantly once or twice a year, others seem to have a constant steady flow... Fingers crossed that yours will be on the lower shedding side :)

You can read more about what to expect from shedding and dealing with it here.

Nyah Le likes this.
  7. TEE

TEE Registered Users

My breeder encouraged me not to brush the Labs as it is not good for them. Better to take them for a swim or a quick rinse to remove dead hair. No soap. But they do shed all year around

8. Ski-Patroller

Ski-Patroller Cooper, Terminally Cute

I have never heard a recommendation not to brush a Lab. Most of us don't bath them on a regular basis. Swimming, especially in salt water will make their coat look good, but it only gets rid of some of the loose coat.

Nyah Le likes this.
  9. pippa@labforumHQ

pippa@labforumHQ Administrator

Is your puppy 8 weeks or 11 weeks old now? As I said in the other thread where you asked about showers, significant hair loss in such young puppies is not normal. It might be an idea to see a vet.

Nyah Le likes this.
  10. Jo Laurens

Jo Laurens Registered Users

I love Furminators - I find them really strip out all the dead hair before it can shed all over the house. I tend to take one out with me away from the house and Furminate my dog every few days whilst they are shedding. Plus (I've seen it!) all those birds making nests everywhere love to take the dog hair you've shedded out for their nests ;)

11. Ishu

Ishu Registered Users

Hi Everyone,
    My YELLOW LAB IS 13 MONTHS. I USE THE FURMINATOR EVERY TWO DAYS BUT YET EVEN WHEN i PET HER, i GET A HANDFUL OF HAIR IN MY HAND.
    I NEED TO VACUMN MY HOUSE TWICE A DAY.

I AM WORRIED ABOUT THE AMOUNT SHE IS SHEDDING.
    ANY FEEDBACK. SHOULD I TRY OMEGA 3 SUPPLEMENTS THAT ARE SUPPOSED TO HELP . NOT SURE?

THANKS VERY MUCH FOR YOUR SUGGESTIONS.

12. Martha B

Martha B Registered Users

13. Martha B

14. Martha B

My puppy is 4 1/2 months and she has been shedding since she was 2 months old. I thought it was to early for her age to be shedding but everyone says...she is a lab, that's what they do. I am aware of that beings I have had 2 labs prior to this one, but neither one started shedding this young.. Someone wrote that it's to young to be shedding and to take them to the vets...so I am as confused as you are on the shedding.