Should dogs be allowed in bars and restaurants?

Discussion in 'Labrador Chat' started by pippa@labforumHQ, Jan 29, 2016.

1. Boogie

Boogie Supporting Member Forum Supporter

They are not allowed to refuse Guide Dogs, by law. Quite a few places still do and quite a few have been fined - a lot of money.

But they *could* claim to be avoiding litigation if they allowed pets, I imagine. Many places are very afraid of being sued.

2. Morwenstow

Morwenstow Registered Users

I'm off to the Pub for a pint!

drjs@5 and pippa@labforumHQ like this.
  3. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Take the dog! :D

drjs@5, Bruer and pippa@labforumHQ like this.
  4. Karen

Karen Registered Users

Oh dear, Bones would never have passed the 'won't pee on things in a shop' test! Consequently I never took him shopping with me (it is possible here). In fact, I'd never take a dog shopping anyway, as it is stressful for them - but a walk to the post office or similar should be possible without having to resort to tying them up outside.

I have to admit - my children weren't perfect. They were capable of being little horrors at times, especially when they were toddlers. As a result we used to take them to 'family restaurants' where people wouldn't be put off their food by their terrible table manners and inability to sit quietly at a table - but you know what, they were toddlers! Once they were older we were happy to take them to more grown up places, where they could learn to enjoy adult company and we could enjoy theirs. It's much the same with dogs I think - if they are quiet and know how to behave at a pub or restaurant, then I am always happy to see them there.

5. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

You can't take dogs into post offices anymore in the UK. :(

But, you can take them into Liberty - yes, Liberty as in Regent's Street. Apparently. They might have in mind little dogs that can be tucked inside a Hermes bag, but still I'm tempted to pitch up with Charlie and see whether he's allowed in.

You can take a dog into Selfridges if they are in a bag....

6. MaccieD

MaccieD Guest

Do they say the bag has to be carried? I bet not, I can foresee some experiments to convert large bags into suitable dog wear :)

Granca, Saba's Boss, drjs@5 and 5 others like this.
  7. kateincornwall

kateincornwall Registered Users

I just spluttered tea ( yes tea not wine ! ) all over the keyboard , that tickled me pink , the thought of Charlie in a bag :D

drjs@5, MaccieD and pippa@labforumHQ like this.
  8. Rosie

Rosie Registered Users

My view exactly!
    I have no problem with well-behaved dogs anywhere. I do, however, know for a fact that if I took Pongo anywhere like that there would be carnage within minutes. Pongo stays home to look after the house.

drjs@5, snowbunny and JulieT like this.
  9. Karen

Karen Registered Users

Does it state anywhere, categorically, that the bag cannot have holes in it for the dog's legs to stick out, so he can walk???

Bruer, JulieT, MaccieD and 2 others like this.
  10. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

HaHa - dog bag design coats required! :)

11. MaccieD

MaccieD Guest

I wonder if it helps to have designer label on the bag? Perhaps we could design our own and start a trend ;):rolleyes:

snowbunny, kateincornwall and JulieT like this.
  12. Boogie

Take care of that keyboard - I killed my last laptop spraying tea!!

kateincornwall likes this.
  13. Boogie

Not if they do it from puppyhood. Twiglet enjoys her shop walks more than her street walks (measured in happy-wags :) )

Rosie, MaccieD and pippa@labforumHQ like this.
  14. MaccieD

MaccieD Guest

A real girl girl then enjoying her shopping trips ;);):):)

Boogie and drjs@5 like this.
  15. laurenxo

laurenxo Registered Users

Yes we should be allowed lol garden centres well most allow them

16. Boris

Boris Registered Users

In Bideford Boris accompanies me to the Post Office. Santander bank, they welcome him and give him a dog biscuit, the news agent on the guay gives him a dog biscuit. I take him into the greengrocer. So far no problems in any shop. I always try and use the quay newsagent now, the other shops need to be aware they are loosing trade. The comments about Argos not allowing dogs in a is a good reason not to use them.

17. bbrown

bbrown Moderator Forum Supporter

I missed this whole thread!

The man who cooks in the chip shop at the bottom of the hill loves dogs so much you get an extra sausage for the dog if you take it with you!

Obi amazed me by settling reasonably well both times I've taken him into a bar or cafe. My boys both want to meet any other dogs but I just keep them on a short lead and they give up after a while. In the hotel in Dunster the dogs were allowed in more rooms than children were and there were dog biscuits waiting for them at breakfast :D

Naya and drjs@5 like this.
  18. Jes72

Jes72 Registered Users

Oh parents with annoying children, sometimes the parents are more annoying than the children!

Naya and JulieT like this.
  19. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Hee Hee, this thread is old! Ever since though, I've been emailing large shops asking if I can take my dog. They mostly ignore my complaints on facebook....

Naya and bbrown like this.
  20. Lisa

Lisa Registered Users

It's really different here. Dogs are NOT allowed anywhere, except if it is a service dog. Or is pet food stores. I have to say I would be put off by a dog in a restaurant, I guess it's just a cultural thing. Or in a shop, to be honest. I don't want to shop in a grocery store where a dog may have peed on the goods.