Should dogs be allowed in bars and restaurants?

Discussion in 'Labrador Chat' started by pippa@labforumHQ, Jan 29, 2016.

1. Boris

Boris Registered Users

I forgot to mention my trip to a cafe in Lynmouth. The lady serving me said that she always hoped a dog would come just after customer had been in and left crumbs on the floor. A labrahoover was most welcome.

Joy, Granca, edzbird and 3 others like this.
  2. bbrown

bbrown Moderator Forum Supporter

It's so weird eating out with child and without dog. You have to clear up after yourself!

Dexter, Naya and drjs@5 like this.
  3. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Good reason why every small child should have a dog! :)

Cath and Jes72 like this.
  4. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

Really?
    Can't think why?
    :D:chuckle:

Naya, Cath and bbrown like this.
  5. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

I didn't even type in purple! :D

Jes72, bbrown, Bruer and 1 other person like this.
  6. Fwhitt246

Fwhitt246 Registered Users

Iv only just seen this thread! I like taking my dogs with me wherever I can. In salcombe there is a great dog friendly pub which provides blankets and towels for the dogs and has an 'A la Bark" menu :) its great!
    When maisie was a tiny puppy and couldn't be put on the floor so I was carrying her, we were walking up the high street in a town nearby and it was freezing. We went to coffee one and as it was so cold i thought I would stand just inside the doorway holding her whilst my husband ordered us drinks to takeaway. One of the members of staff came rushing over flapping saying that they don't allow dogs and made me stand outside in the cold! It made me feel really silly and awkward!

7. Jes72

Jes72 Registered Users

Homer comes to pubs with us sometimes, mostly when we are on holiday and can't leave him alone. Hubby takes him up to the corner to collect our Friday night pizza, they love him in there. He ever so nearly slipped his cooler trying to get into the butchers, the butcher always throws him a sausage and packs in something extra for him when I stop by.

drjs@5 likes this.
  8. Jes72

Jes72 Registered Users

Oh and then there's the time in France when he DID slip him collar. While I was standing at the cheese counter I found a rather familiar Labrador around my legs, shop manager was NOT amused!

drjs@5 likes this.
  9. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

:D:D

10. Saba's Boss

Saba's Boss Registered Users

I wouldn't take Saba shopping. He's a thief, and we'd get arrested!

Bruer and Cath like this.
  11. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Well, Charlie needs to be on a short lead, and walked....er...ok, rushed, by vertical 'peeable on' structures. But he's getting better! If we had more places to work than boring old pets at home, full of peeable structures that have already been peed on by 10,000 dogs we'd make faster progress.

So it's Homebase's fault. :donttalk:

Edited to add: not in the pub though! Because he has always been allowed in pubs, and was pub trained from 8 weeks, he has NEVER tried to pee in a pub! I rest my case.

Lisa likes this.
  12. Boogie

Boogie Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Yes, it's about developing good habits. My pups come everywhere with me and I scoop them up long before they can wee anywhere! In fact they are not on the ground long at all in shops etc, until house trained. Other puppy walkers are more easy going and clear up after the pups - but it takes them longer to train them to be clean everywhere imo.

Both have been completely clean on all indoor and outdoor lead walks (unless asked to 'go' in designated areas)

:angel:

Lisa and MaccieD like this.
  13. Cath

Cath Registered Users

Annie won't do anything out side on her walks. She waits until she back in the garden before she goes to the toilet. Fred on the other hand, could wee for England :tail: but only outside, not indoors at home or in pubs :D

Last edited: Apr 19, 2016
  14. Stacia

Stacia Registered Users

Part of my dog training is that we take the dogs into the hotel for a cup of tea or coffee :)

Lisa, drjs@5 and MaccieD like this.
  15. Ski-Patroller

Ski-Patroller Cooper, Terminally Cute

I Oregon, for sure, and in all the US that I'm aware of, you can't take a dog into a restaurant or food store, unless they are a "Service Dog". Most outdoor seating does allow dogs, but we don't do much outdoor eating during the cold months. The term service or assistance dog can be applied for any number of reasons, and the shop owner is not allowed to question it. I know it is sometimes abused by people who just want to take their pets into a restaurant or grocery store.

As far as other retail stores are concerned, it seems to be the Owners/Chains discretion. Home Depot welcomes dogs (most of the staff carries dog biscuits) , and Lowes does not. Cabelas and Fisherman's Marine welcome dogs, while REI does not, (anymore).

Lisa likes this.
  16. Boogie

Boogie Supporting Member Forum Supporter

In the UK the shop owner is allowed to question the service dog owner and we carry ID/proof that they are service dogs or service dog pups. Anyone could have a jacket printed otherwise.

17. SwampDonkey

SwampDonkey Registered Users

pubs.. only if they buy a round

Cath, Joy, snowbunny and 1 other person like this.
  18. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Yay! Yay! Yay! For sensible people!

Today, I walked into a small town with my dog (I'm staying in Cornwall for a few days). I had to hurry through my dog walk, because we needed food for dinner and I had to get home to drive to the supermarket, a few miles away. Boo. Boring. What a waste of time when otherwise me and Charlie could hang out together. :(

I looked wistfully into the butchers, wondering if I could ask them to give me an order and come to the door to collect my money (saving me dashing home in time to drive to the supermarket) and the butcher (who I know but haven't seen for a while) called out to me to come in. I said that I had my dog with me....he said "so what, bring him in!". Fab. I spent my money with a local supplier, didn't drive to a horrid supermarket, and Charlie got a bit of (not sure what) meat, and a small child waiting with his mum in the Q, and who very much wanted to say hello to my dog, got to give Charlie a seabiscuit.

Yay! :):):) I'd call that a win-win!

snowbunny, drjs@5, edzbird and 2 others like this.
  19. Lisa

Lisa Registered Users

Ha ha good point!

20. Lisa

Lisa Registered Users

Oh yes....my dogs have been indispensable in the clean-up department in the years we had toddlers. I called them my portable wet/dry vac....