Signs of Heat & Spaying Question

Discussion in 'Labrador Behavior' started by lara_b, Jan 8, 2018.

1. lara_b

lara_b Registered Users

Hello, all!

It's me again, the anxious now-8-month-Cassie owner!

I'm so grateful for everyone here and all your help you've given me.

Things have been getting better...and then, they get worse. The past few days, it seems Cassie has been doing everything in her power to drive me and my mom crazy!

We think she may be coming into season, but we have never had a female dog, so we just aren't sure. She is 8 months old. She's been incredibly unsettled, pacing and following us, bringing us toy after toy, and she hasn't been eating. She used to nearly jump up and down when we'd say "ready for breakfast?" And excitedly follow us. She will still pester us for treats every chance she gets, but she's not interested in her food. We finally got her to eat by mixing in a bit of wet canned dog food and that did help her settle. She has always been iffy about her recall, but the past few weeks it's been getting sooo good, now, forget it. Every chance she gets outside she wanders down to a puddle at the bottom of our property. Once she heads that way, there is no getting her back without going down to the puddle and putting her on a leash and coaxing her back with treats and toys to distract her from the puddle.

My second question is more than likely just me being worried again. We are planning to get her spayed, and while I was researching signs of her going into heat, I've read some unsettling things about dog behavior after spaying. People were saying their dogs became aggressive to other dogs after being spayed, aggressive towards owners and family... all after being spayed...of course, just when I'm starting to deal with/handle my anxiety about Cassie somehow being aggressive (which she isn't, currently, at all!) this pops up and has decided to try and take over my brain. I was hoping some of you lovely lab lovers could offer some evidence, personal experience, about what to expect and if there is any truth to this. It's making me very nervous to arrange her spaying, so I'm hoping it's just misinformation, which there is so much of!!

Thank you all in advance for the support and advice. You are all just the greatest!

2. SwampDonkey

SwampDonkey Registered Users

I got my lovely old girl Moo spayed after her first season. She did a lot of things you're describing with your girl especially not being able to eat. She had a very good recovery from the op and her temperament was just the same, loving gentle and very very silly. I had her spayed because she really did suffer during her first season and she was very unhappy. She also had a phantom pregnancy so it was the best thing for her she is a very happy little dog

lara_b likes this.
  3. Karen

Karen Registered Users

I had Poppy spayed when she was five years old, due to health reasons. It has not changed her character negatively at all - in fact, I'd say she is if anything calmer and happier. On the negative side, her fur is not as sleek and beautiful as it was before, and keeping her slim is a constant battle. When I look back to photos of her from just before her spay, she looked much better, I think. Spaying or neutering a dog is a serious decision, and I think it's really good that you are thinking it over carefully, considering all the pros and cons. Also, remember there's no rush - you could always wait for another season before making your decision.

kateincornwall and SwampDonkey like this.
  4. Stacia

Stacia Registered Users

I have had five dogs spayed over the years and it never changed their character one iota.

5. kateincornwall

kateincornwall Registered Users

I`ve had all my female dogs spayed, for various reasons and can honestly say that none have changed in character at all . With a couple of them, I did note a gradual change of texture of the coat, more harsh and wiry , but that's all . My little rescue girl Nelly was spayed last summer , sailed through it but now has a tendency to gain weight , despite my being strict over treats !

Last edited: Jan 8, 2018
  6. Jazzmynn

Jazzmynn Registered Users

All of our dogs have been female, and all had been spayed. None of their personalities changed a bit. Good luck with your decision.

7. BacktoBlack

BacktoBlack Registered Users

Im starting to second guess waiting till after her first season (she is 7.5 months 11/13/18)
    Having had so many females was there any way you could have missed that one was in heat? By this I mean missing she was in heat the first day...Im so fearful of her getting pregnant, theres not a week goes by without a dog running around that "got loose". Thanks!

8. Edp

Edp Registered Users

I have 3 bitches spayed...no difference before and after :)

9. BacktoBlack

BacktoBlack Registered Users

Its not a matter of if I will spay just when... not that you quoted my post lol but just saying

10. Ski-Patroller

Ski-Patroller Cooper, Terminally Cute

All three of our Labs have been spayed and I saw no difference in their behavior. I would wait until she is over a year old to do it, so she is pretty much through growing.

Edp likes this.