Silent season?

Discussion in 'Labrador Health' started by Atemas, Jan 12, 2018.

1. Atemas

Atemas Registered Users

I rang the vets this morning to book an appointment for Red to be weighed and get more Prinovox and asked why I had not heard about the results of the poo tests done early December. The vet rang me later and said the tests were clear and apologised for not having contacted me - an oversight she said. I told her I was coming in with Red this afternoon to be weighed and to get more Prinovox. Since her sickness and diarrhoea in early December when she had lost weight from 19.4kg to 18.7kg, I haven’t been concerned particularly about her weight - she is skinny but in all other respects fine. However, I put her car harness on which she hasn’t worn in weeks and was a bit shocked that it was loose. Anyway she is 18.5kg. I did mention her poos have not been as solid as before the sickness/diarrhoea. Anyway much discussion about her food and quantity, then vet nurse goes off to see the vet. Vet wants the vet nurse to monitor Red’s weight monthly and change her food!! As I have been happy with the Symply food she is on and have just ordered another 12kg bag, I am reluctant to do this.

Anyway, the vet nurse asked if she had been spayed. I told her she hasn’t had a season yet and we will have her spayed when she has. So off vet nurse goes again to see vet and comes back to say, Red may have had a ‘silent season’ or possibly two. I had never heard of this. Just ‘googled’ it and at the moment wished I hadn’t. Anyone else hear of this or experienced it with their dog?

2. Jojo83

Jojo83 Registered Users

Step away from Google and reading about silent seasons. I know we all do it and we frighten ourselves silly doing it :) . Yes I had a quick look and finally found a vet site with a little more info. From what I gleaned a silent season is not unusual and needn't cause sorry. It could just be that Red's symptoms for a season were very subtle. Yes, there could be other reasons so if it were me I would make an appointment for a chat with the vet and perhaps ask for some blood tests to make sure nothing is wrong. I would also have a chat about the weight loss. A food change may help but I would want a reason for the continuing loss if possible first.

Atemas likes this.
  3. Karen

Karen Registered Users

How old is Red?

4. Atemas

Atemas Registered Users

Red is 13 months. DH and I have decided ourselves to increase her food a little bit and see how she goes. I have an appointment with the vet nurse to take her back in a month to be weighed again. If there is a further weight loss then yes I will certainly involve the vet.

5. Karen

Karen Registered Users

Sounds sensible. :)

Atemas likes this.
  6. Plum's mum

Plum's mum Registered Users

Could it be her low weight @Atemas that has prevented Red coming into season? I know that can be a thing in girls/women, that low weight interferes with menstruation. Maybe if Red gains a bit of weight she may have a season so upping her food seems a good start.

7. Beanwood

Beanwood Registered Users

Betcha get a season in the next few weeks! ;)
    Bramble was almost 13 months old when she had her first season, and it was an "on, off" season, which basically spanned 6 weeks.

A bitches first season can be a bit odd until they get into the swing of things, hormones eh?

Don't worry, just increase her food slightly, maybe add a lunch. Then I would weight weekly and monitor any changes.

selina27 and Atemas like this.
  8. Atemas

Atemas Registered Users

Yes started at tea time giving her more.

We will see :).

9. Inky lab

Inky lab Registered Users

I know from your threads that Red wasn't well for a bit and now still has slightly runny pops. This was the same with Inky when he was eating loads of dog poo, yuk, and he was also loosing weight. Since I've had to start using a muzzle in some places when walking off lead to prevent this his poo has hardened up to 2 (in the chart helpfully posted on another thread) and he's stopped loosing weight. I reasoned that his food was shooting through him so he wasn't digesting it and absorbing enough. Maybe this happened to Red too. Hopefully if she puts on a bit of weight, she'll have a season

Atemas likes this.
  10. selina27

selina27 Registered Users

Not sure I have any helpful advice but I'm with @Beanwood on this, Red may well come in season in the next couple of months. Does it matter if she's had a silent season or is later having her first one? Are you in a rush to get her spayed ? It kind of bugs me how the vets/vet nurses really push for it these days.
    Good news about the results, even if you did have to wait.
    It seems sensible to increase her food and monitor her weight just as you plan too, I'm sure you know her well enough to know when she's ok :)

Atemas likes this.
  11. Atemas

Atemas Registered Users

Red has come into season today!

Plum's mum, edzbird, Naya and 5 others like this.
  12. Beanwood

Beanwood Registered Users

:D:D

Atemas likes this.
  13. selina27

Yeah ha ha !

Atemas likes this.
  14. Jojo83

Jojo83 Registered Users

That's a relief for you :)

Atemas likes this.
  15. SwampDonkey

SwampDonkey Registered Users

Hope she's feeling a bit better soon. It least it explains a few things for you.

Atemas likes this.
  16. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

Yay!
    Hope she is getting her 3 meals a day.
    And supper ;)

Atemas likes this.
  17. Atemas

Atemas Registered Users

Yes it does @SwampDonkey. The last few days, when I have taken her outside for a wee, she has squatted as usual but then lifted her back leg almost like a male cocking his leg. I read the article on the site last evening about coming into season and that can be one of the signs. She has also wee’d on the patio instead of the grass which I thought was a bit weird :rolleyes: but I’ll put it down to that.

She had more food yesterday @drjs@5 and she always gets supper :D.

drjs@5 and SwampDonkey like this.
  18. Cath

Cath Registered Users

Hope she is soon better.

19. selina27

Yes Cassie was a bit weird with the weeing with her first season, even did a couple inside, she just couldn't help herself. She also walked about while weeing! Well waddled really. None of this happened with the second season.

20. Karen

Karen Registered Users

That's good news!!