Simba - Novice Trick Dog???

Discussion in 'Labrador Training' started by Lisa, Nov 19, 2014.

1. Dexter

Dexter Moderator Forum Supporter

Re: Simba - Novice Trick Dog???

[quote author=Karen link=topic=8823.msg133641#msg133641 date=1420107535]
    I think the best thing about it must be the rapport you are building up between Simba and yourself. I mean, the tricks are cool - but really it is the fact that you are learning to work together as a team that is so impressive.
    [/quote]

Totally agree!
    You have got a whole show of tricks going on there Lisa,well done x

2. Lisa

Lisa Registered Users

Thanks all. Don't be fooled, it's not that we know all of those 100%....work in progress! to be sure. It is fun, I enjoy the daily work with him on the tricks. I think so far I'm most proud of the two feet on object....it was quite hard as he kept wanting to go around the object rather than on it. But then it just clicked (hah) and he's never looked back. :)

Won't do so well on this week's practice....kids are still here, leaving today :'( so haven't had any practice time yet. Oh well....we'll do the best we can.

3. Lisa

Lisa Registered Users

Just came back from this week's class. It went much better, as I was determined not to make Simba just sit around and cool his jets, so to speak. And I made sure to go on our evening walk before the class, to try to get some energy burned off first.

During the class, when there was downtime, we practiced "settle" in a very rudimentary way, I don't have a cue for it but when he voluntarily sat down or (once) lay down I gave him a treat. Also he seemed to be better if he was sitting pressed up next to my legs and I was stroking him ( ::)needy dog, hah!), so we did some of that. I also decided to use these "down" times to work on things like the sit/stay, down/stay, and the lie down "leave it" with a treat on each paw. This helped to give him something to do, and it really helped.

Tonight was mainly a review, we went over the tricks we have learnt and listed the ones we have the most trouble with and the trainer gave us some ideas for how to improve. I didn't get very far on the two back feet on object, I think I'm going to leave that one. Also I'm not going to do rollover for the test, we are not getting too far on that one. But the rest that i will be tested on are:

Sit
    Stay
    Sit pretty
    Shake paw
    Through the agility tunnel
    Hand target
    Down
    Spin (clockwise and counter clockwise)
    Weave through legs - we can do a stationary weave as well as a moving one :)
    Two front paws on object
    Jump (ie agility jump)
    Bow
    Wave
    Peek/hide

Hmmm I think we need 15 so I have to do another one. I'm going to have a go at rollover but it's not quite clicking for him yet, but I will also work on our "pray" so I think I can use that one,,I'll email the trainer and see.

So this week will be polishing these, you have to do them without a treat in your hand as a lure (which we can) and there are some specifics for some of them ie "stay" means you put them in a sit, ask for a stay, walk five paces away, hold for 5 seconds, walk back, and release.

Test is next week!! :D

4. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Sounds great!! :D

Have you enjoyed the class?

5. Dexter

Brilliant Lisa,you will miss your sessions ....do you think you can encourage the trainer to maybe run another course?sounds like you have got some agility equipment there.....could that be an option?
    You have done really well.....I like to have a class to go to...it gives me structure...I get too sidetracked otherwise....especially reading what others are doing on here ;D I jump from one thing to another....
    Good luck with your test x

6. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

That's really great! Good luck with the test!

7. Karen

Karen Registered Users

Most impressive! I hope the test goes well - I'm sure you'll both be great :)

8. Lisa

Lisa Registered Users

Thanks, all. I have enjoyed the class, for the main, although it's a bit tricky with an impatient dog. But it's been a good way to learn new things and keep us working on things throughout the winter. I'm pretty sure there will be more opportunities, this was Novice Trick Dog so I wouldn't be surprised if she offers the next level. Not sure if I will take it or not, the other class she is running right now is the Scent Training which I know Simba would really enjoy and do well at (I think!) so I'd love to give it a go. But we'll see, it's not like she has a big pool of people to draw from, she may just offer the second level of Scent Training for that class as well.

9. Karen

Karen Registered Users

Yes, my feeling from all you've written about Simba is that scent training and tracking would be definitely more his thing...

If it were me, I would talk to the trainer and indicate eagerness for that class. :)

10. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

I think you have done wonderfully well Lisa.
    You should feel really pleased about what you have achieved.
    I love, love, love, the fact that Simba settles best hugging your legs too :) :) :)

11. Lisa

Lisa Registered Users

[quote author=Karen link=topic=8823.msg135473#msg135473 date=1420647165]
    Yes, my feeling from all you've written about Simba is that scent training and tracking would be definitely more his thing...

If it were me, I would talk to the trainer and indicate eagerness for that class. :)
    [/quote]

Good idea, Karen. I will ask her about it. Hopefully she will run another beginner class, rather than just move on to the next level with the same people. We'll see. The good thing is that I'm fairly sure she will have more classes, and she is completely positive reinforcement/clicker based. I am very happy to support that! :)

[quote author=drjs@5 link=topic=8823.msg135558#msg135558 date=1420660636]
    I think you have done wonderfully well Lisa.
    You should feel really pleased about what you have achieved.
    I love, love, love, the fact that Simba settles best hugging your legs too :) :) :)
    [/quote]

I know, he's quite a snuggy dog in some ways.... ::)

12. Oberon

Oooo - scent training would be awesome!!! :D

13. Naya

Naya Registered Users

I'm glad that the classes have been good for you and Simba :)
    The scent classes sound really good :)

14. Lisa

Lisa Registered Users

Annndddd.....we passed!! ;D Simba has officially earned the title of Novice Trick Dog!!

He did really well, I was very pleased with the pooch. I have to say he was the best in the class (okay there were only three of us tonight, but still... ;)).

It was a fun experience, and it has certainly helped us keep occupied during these winter months. No new classes being offered just yet, but I'm sure there will be in the future, so I'll keep my eye open. In the meantime there is a book that I'm going to check out which has a whole bunch more tricks we can learn, so I'll give it a look for fun. :)

15. Oberon

Yayyyy!!!! Well done to you both! Congratulations on your title, Simba NTD :)

16. Naya

Naya Registered Users

Woohoo :D well done to you both :D

17. charlie

charlie Registered Users

Aw Lisa that's a fantastic achievement and great work Simba!!! Do we get to see a photo of Simba with his award? Do you have the title of the trick book please, Charlie likes a trick or 2 ;D. Well done!! x

18. bbrown

bbrown Moderator Forum Supporter

That is a very cool official title Simba NTD.

I'm so glad you had fun Lisa and it kept you out of the cold :eek: it's impressive stuff!! Makes our retrieving look a bit boring ;D

19. Karen

Karen Registered Users

Oh that's brilliant! I second the wish for a photo of Simba with his NTD award... :D

20. Dexter

Congratulations Simba and Lisa,what a great team ,you've done really well and I'm glad you enjoyed it so much x