sleep deprived in The Cotswolds

Discussion in 'Introductions & Saying Hello' started by Andrea D, Jan 15, 2020.

1. Andrea D

Andrea D Registered Users

Hello I would really value some guidance.. I have a 10.5 week old Golden Labrador, she’s really gorgeous. She has been with us only since last Friday 10th Jan. Her name is Reba, she’s settling well, I’m following g the Hapoy Puppy and Labrador books which are helping. Reba is toiletting outside well, rare accidents in last 48hours (2). I v had her by the bed in a box since we arrived home. She has not really liked it much , but settled and I was getting up every hour from 10-2 ( took her out, she needs to go each time) then she was sleeping til 5 isn.
    Last night which was the last planned night in the box, she wouldn’t settle, she jumped about eventually turning the box over x2 !
    I took her outside, then tried to settle her unsuccessfully in her crate. She had been using her crate to wander in and out, ive bed. Feeding her, giving her treats, and she’s slept in there during the day. However, the minute the door is closed she barks and whines. Last night I had to give up because of the noise( I used them clicker approach ) I ended up sleeping in the kitchen on a duvet, as my sleep deprived mind could no longer function safely. Reba slept all night, I took her out at 4 then she settled again.
    Reba saw the vet yesterday as she has a bit of colitis, he’s given her some meds for 3 days. He said she was in excellent health and he was impressed that she is toiletting well, given the colitis.
    I am wondering how best to manage tonight. Shall I let her just sleep in the kitchen out of the crate but with the door open? My husbanc thinks I should . Today I’m leaving her alone for periods of time and she’s fine. When I tried her in the crate this morning she was very unhappy , as soon as I closed the door. Can I try what I suggested earlier and gradually work towards closing the door? I really don’t know what to do your help would be most appr. Thankyou

2. pippa@labforumHQ

pippa@labforumHQ Administrator

Hi there, and welcome. :) And congratulations on your new puppy! Sorry to hear she has tummy troubles, hope those are cleared up soon. If not, do drop a poo sample into your vet - so many puppies nowadays are testing positive for Giardia, and one course of treatment isn't always enough.

Those first few nights can be tough can't they! What is ideal for the puppy and how badly you need to sleep are two aspects that need to balanced.

You can't leave Reba in the box by your bed if she can get out of it, so you can either put a crate by your bed, or shut her in the crate in the kitchen, or leave her in the kitchen with the crate door open.

If you can sleep that way, the first option might be the best one.

If you can't sleep next to her and you think your kitchen is fairly puppy proof that last option might be the best one

If you are going to shut her in the crate, then ideally, you'd do this gradually. Starting by sitting next to the crate while she's shut in there for a very short time.

Sitting next to it separates the fear of being left, from the frustration of being shut in. So the dog is only dealing with one of those two things and getting used to it, before being exposed to the other.

Here's an article detailing this process

Good luck and shout if you have more questions :)

3. Andrea D

Andrea D Registered Users

Many thanks for your swift and helpful response. The vet did say to take a stool sample for treating if those doesn’t work. I’ll keep the faith , your books are brilliant at guiding the way, thanks again Andrea

4. katsme

katsme Registered Users

I had a smaller crate next to my bed for sleeping and kept it covered except for one side. It worked really well. By the time Odin had outgrown it, he made the transition to a doggy bed smoothly.

Andrea D likes this.