Sleeping routine

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by Sally C, Feb 6, 2015.

1. Sally C

Sally C Registered Users

Hi again everyone :)

Quick one - am interested to know about your pup's sleeping routine. Do you leave your pup to wonder/sleep at will, or do you instill sleep time?

Seren sometimes decides to have a kip and will hop in his crate, but more often than not he won't until he sees an opportunity to get on my lap (when he will fall asleep in seconds). Often it's me who decides he needs to sleep, and i either give him a cuddle or pop him in his crate when he's calm and generally he's asleep in a couple of mins. Sometimes he's like a toddler and fights sleep, so I say shhh quietly a few times which tends to work.

I know this won't always be the case, especially as he gets older and there'll be less restriction when he's fully house trained, but I was just wondering what you all do?

Thanks! :)

2. CDM

CDM Registered Users

Re: Sleeping routine

Bella likes to cuddle up to me / sofa when she's tired, I used to tell her when it was quiet time and she was getting too overexcited so needed the shhhhh quiet time chat too like Seren, but now after a burst of activity and food she starts to wander aimlessly looking tired and then she snuggles up for her naps herself , wakes up sometimes, usually if she hears me in the kitchen!!! But goes back to sleep if there's nothing of interest on offer and sometimes she's too tired to follow me so I just get a quick head lift ;D you will start to recognise more of the signs. . She won't nap in her crate when I'm there tho but will in the day when I'm out, she prefers snuggling up to me or on the carpet. however it's a different story if others dogs are around, I still separate her from my mums dog after a while and put Bella down for naps or she would keep going ;D

3. Wendy68

Wendy68 Registered Users

After a walk or playtime Izzy will jump on the sofa and sleep, sometimes jumping off after awhile a sleeping on the carpet. She seems to have gone off cuddles with me

4. Penny+Me

Penny+Me Registered Users

When we first got Penny she couldn't stay awake for more than half an hour at a time!! But as she got older she stayed awake longer, and got to the point where she was getting over tired because she couldn't just switch off - at that point I started giving her time outs in the form of an evening nap for an hour or so and this helped dramatically!

She has never been the type of dog to put herself to bed, although now she is 2 and will sometimes go and plonk herself in her bed in the front room whilst we are watching TV. Once she was housetrained it didn't bother me but before then was when I was giving her the nap times as I knew she wouldn't mess in her crate and didn't want to risk her going to sleep on the floor and then waking before I could catch her and take her outside.

5. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

When he was small, Charlie stayed out of his pen until he had driven me quite mad, then it was crate time.

Now, he is in a routine. My laptop is open, it's snooze time. Closed, it's play/walk/train time.

6. Dexter

Dexter Moderator Forum Supporter

Dex has always been a 'sleep the day away dog ' I used to worry he slept too much ::) but he's always had plenty of excercise,interaction and company and he's up and interested whenever someone is moving about or he hears me say 'right' I've learned that i say that prior to anything nice that is going to happen for him ....walk,play,training,dinner!
    When he first came to us at 5 months we did have a 'prowl' for a while which was a bit of a witching hour in the early evening,he's do laps round the coffee table and nick things he wouldn't even look at during the day ;D
    We would put him in his room where he could still see us with a frozen kong and he'd chew himself into calm ;D.......most times ;D