Sloppy Sit

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by SullyBear, May 15, 2020.

1. SullyBear

SullyBear Registered Users

Sully has been doing amazing but starting this week he has been doing a sit then sliding to a down. He only holds sit for a few seconds then front paws slide and belly goes to the floor.

Suggestions?

I have tried doing down sit stand
    Stand sit down
    Down stand sit

Still continues to slide down.

2. Bungie

Bungie Registered Users

Try reward and release faster. Or sit reward, heel etc so Sully doesn’t think about laying down. Put down or drop in at other times.

Hold a reward in your hand that Sully can see, even put it just out of reach so he is almost reaching for it, not enough for him to stand, just an enticement. He is less likely to lay down if it moves him away from the treat. You could also use a toy.

Be happy with one or 2 good ones and move on to something else or even finish at that for the session.

I had to stop doing drop stays for a couple of weeks because Ziggy would not hold a sit stay. He’s back into it now. I also changed the training from late in the walk to the beginning, it was harder for the heel part for a little while but because he was fresher he didn’t lay down. I also had to be much faster in the return because he was more inclined to get up.

Throwing in a few pivot turns and right turns tends to sharpen up their attention.

Ziggy is 6 1/2 months old so still very much a baby.

You’ll get there, it just takes time.

SullyBear likes this.
  3. SullyBear

SullyBear Registered Users

Thank you!!