Sniffing eveything on a walk out!

Discussion in 'Labrador Training' started by Gilly Blyth, Jan 28, 2017.

1. Gilly Blyth

Gilly Blyth Registered Users

I love to take my 5 month old Lab, Clara out for a bracing walk around the village during my lunch break, but she will insist on sniffing EVEYTHING thing en-route! Hence bracing walk becomes a 20 minute, 100 yard meander! I'm constantly pulling at her lead, redirecting her focus and it's just becoming a chore rather than a pleasure. Any advice?

2. Boogie

Boogie Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Is the walk for her or you?

If it's for her then the sniffing is her relaxation and fun - like us reading a book or surfing the net.

Our Guide Dog pups are not allowed to sniff at all on lead, but their lead walks are work, not relaxation. They sniff as much as they like on free runs, which are their time off.

3. Snowshoe

Snowshoe Registered Users

I found walking briskly prevents the sniffing. However as @Boogie mentions, who's walk is it anyway? And if we have to walk on leash then I make sure to allow some sniffing, but where and when I decree.

Dawn_Treader likes this.
  4. Kelsey&Axel

Kelsey&Axel Registered Users

I also allow for some sniffing. Just walking doesn't do much for them, it's very boring. It's the sniffing that makes them think and tires them out mentally.

Dawn_Treader likes this.
  5. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

Hehe, I typed this but didn't post it (puppy toilet break!), and came back to see all the similar answers... :D

If I were you, I'd ask who the walk is for - you or her. If it's for her, let her get on with sniffing what she wants to. Lead walking is boring as sin for a dog without it.

6. Judy H

Judy H Registered Users

Like others, my lab and I have two different walks...one for him and one for errands or other things. When it is for him, he can sniff anything and everything! As someone mentioned, this is wonderful for them! They love it! Other times we are in town or stores and he is still learning it is a "no sniff" time. Additionally, if we walk around the neighborhood I need to be careful and watch sniffing intently because sniffing usually turns into peeing on it and people don't really like having their flowers and bushes peed on. It's a work in progress and getting better.

7. Naya

Naya Registered Users

I agree with all of the above. I let Harley sniff when I pop home for a short walk as I find it tires her out more than a brisk walk.

8. Gilly Blyth

Gilly Blyth Registered Users

Thanks for all your messages and advice. I thought I was storing up a behaviour problem by letting her sniff so much. Will definitely take on board that the lunchtime walk out is for Clara though. Happy walking!

Naya likes this.
  9. charlie

charlie Registered Users

If I want to get to my off lead walk and Hattie wants to go sniffing I have a "walk on" cue and off we go, if she doesn't hear that she can sniff to her hearts content as it is important for them :) x

10. Helen

Helen Registered Users

I also let my boy sniff to his hearts content, it takes longer but I'm not in a rush.