So Exausted - 15 week old Lab

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by Cadey's Mum, Jun 18, 2018.

1. Snowy

Snowy Registered Users

It's really difficult and I think everyone who has had a puppy will sympathise. We didn't sleep properly for the first few weeks, we were totally shattered, days were bleary-eyed, tired and grumpy. But the main thing is that it does get better. :)

2. Keithmac

Keithmac Registered Users

We went for bedtime crate in the kitchen from word go, 3 weeks in our 13 week old will snooze on sofa till 10.30/11pm go out for toilet then she goes straight into her crate on her own now.

Wakes up around 6am, we're normally up at 6.30 anyway so no issues. First week she was up at 4 for toilets but went straight back in the crate till 6.

Sometimes during the day she'll wander off and have a snooze in the crate all on her own!.

Cadey's Mum likes this.
  3. Cadey's Mum

Cadey's Mum Registered Users

She's going to sleep in her crate and we get glimpse of her sleeping through the night but not yet. Last night killed me.. bed at 9.30 woke at 12.30 then 5.20am.
    Yesterday was an exception but I'm now tired AGAIN.

I know she'll get there... 16 weeks and counting!

4. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

A lot of people start with puppies in a box or small crate aside the bed as they often settle much easier, particularly on the first week or so. Then make the transition over several weeks to where the eventual sleeping place will be
    They miss their mum and littermates, and thrive on human company.

Cadey's Mum likes this.
  5. Cadey's Mum

Thank you... I'm no convinced she's waking for the sake of it and could have slept all night last night. I took out for a wee but came back to our room and back to sleep really quickly.
    Do I do
    a) let her cry in the crate and back to sleep
    OR
    B) bring her into our room from the go?

6. Aitch

Aitch Registered Users

My dogs have always slept in my room. During the first weeks I've set alarms and then just slept until they've woken me. I firmly believe that puppies need to be able to relax in our company at night. Of course, that might just be me enjoying their company! :rolleyes:

7. Ski-Patroller

Ski-Patroller Cooper, Terminally Cute

Our dogs have always slept in our bedroom. They don't talk about what we do.:eek:

Candy likes this.
  8. Cadey's Mum

Well she's been consistently sleeping in our room during the night wit no problems - still waking early but usually climbs on the bed and goes back to sleep.

lucy@labforumHQ and SwampDonkey like this.
  9. Candy

Candy Registered Users

It'll probably get better when the mornings aren't light so early and also as your sweet pup gets older and everyone starts chilling a bit.Our little Joy was pretty lively and waking us up this time last year at age 2-3 months, even though she slept in our bedroom. Come the darker mornings and her growing up, she slept later and calm was (mostly) restored. Having had many pups over the years, I can only say hang in there! It's so, so worth it. The pay back you get eventually is huge and life affirming.

lucy@labforumHQ likes this.
  10. Cadey's Mum

Thanks for your reply... but it's winter here so v dark and chilly :)
    Still waking at 5.30 regardless! One day sleep will be good again!

11. Rosehelen

Rosehelen Registered Users

My Koda 13 weeks has always slept in her crate from the start but my bedroom not far away as live in a bungalow so wonder if she is reassured because I am close by. She wakes at the moment about 2am, 5ish and 6ish. I take her for a wee all 3 times then generally onto my bed at 6ish time and after a while she goes back to sleep. Today was a result of 7.55! Not sure how well I actually slept after 6 though. I knew if I gave in to the crying over the first few nights when we got her 5 weeks ago then things would have been different. We have had 2 dogs before her who weren't crate trained and again had to leave them crying the first few nights and never had any problems with them that I can remember. I am not naturally a morning person but do seem to be coping with my interrupted sleep at the moment, I think we can cope better than we think and I am sure you are too. Things will get better. Unconditional love especially when they look at you and wag their tails and give you so much love.