So how old is your Lab and how much does he/she weigh?

Discussion in 'Labrador Chat' started by soberbyker, Jan 27, 2018.

1. Harley Quinn

Harley Quinn Registered Users

Ok, my measuring assistant arrived home. Harley is 16 months old. She is 55cm at her wither and 60cm front of her shoulder to end of her bum and she weighs 31.5kgs. We took some appropriate photos. With the help of a treat.
    20180128_220416s.jpg

20180128_220421s.jpg 20180128_220755s.jpg 20180128_220424s.jpg

CMartin, Karen, Teller's mom and 3 others like this.
  2. Ski-Patroller

Ski-Patroller Cooper, Terminally Cute

Cooper is 2-1/2 years, just under 80# and is 24" at the shoulders. (25" at the butt) She is a big girl but not fat. She can get 2 tennis balls in her mouth, and still pick up a third some times. She is definitely a Field style dog. Very fast and quick.

Tilly is 12 years, about 70, and a bit overweight right now. She is stockier than Cooper. Her dad was a Field style dog, while her mom was a bench style.

JennyIndia and soberbyker like this.
  3. Teller's mom

Teller's mom Registered Users

@soberbyker - Teller is 3 1/2 and weighs 80 lbs; he's 24" at the shoulder. He is well-muscled with a deep, solidly built chest and thin waist (it's like someone glued two different dogs together). He has a definite tuck-up that's more noticeable when he's running than when he's just standing there. A big factor in his gangly appearance is early neutering but I won't get into that.

Being from the States as well, I know exactly what you're talking about. Nearly every lab I've seen has been well over 90 lbs with pitifully short legs. I'm afraid this is because of all the 'English' lab breeders over here who think a stockier and more massive lab = a better one. Teller looks like an alien compared to them, lol. I have to say, though, looking at some of these pictures I'm not as worried about his appearance because he doesn't look as radical or strange as I thought. Not that he has good conformation. It's just refreshing for me to see other dogs who look similar.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. Teller's mom

Teller's mom Registered Users

By the way, Coco has lovely angulation in the rear. I love how from the neck down (minus the tail and brindle coloring) he's all lab but his head is almost all GSD. I find it really interesting how dominant the gene for pendant ears is. I saw a picture of an F1 lab x wolf cross and they had floppy ears as well. So strange. o_O

soberbyker and edzbird like this.
  5. Ski-Patroller

Ski-Patroller Cooper, Terminally Cute

It seems to me that I am seeing more Field Dogs than Bench Dogs now. It may be a NW thing but most of the kennels we looked at for Cooper advertised their Hunting or Field Trial Awards, and most of the dogs I'm seeing look more like Cooper than Tilly. (Tilly's Dad was a Field Trial Champion and looked it, her mom was a Master Hunter but looked short even for a Bench Dog)

soberbyker likes this.
  6. Karen

Karen Registered Users

Just had Merlin at the vet yesterday - weight holding steady at 33.5 kg, 60 cm at the shoulder, 11 months old.

drjs@5, soberbyker and kateincornwall like this.
  7. Beau's mummy

Beau's mummy Registered Users

My Beau is 10 months old and a mix of working and show lab. She’s weighs 28kg

soberbyker likes this.
  8. Beau's mummy

9. CMartin

CMartin Registered Users

The vet weighed Gaston on Tuesday, he's weighing 7.4kgs at 2 months and a half.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Alfie and me, soberbyker and Karen like this.
  10. Maxx's Mum

Maxx's Mum Registered Users

Maxx is a nugget...he was 16 kilos at 15 weeks old. He is now 17 weeks and I'm sure another kilo has gone on. The vet said he wasn't overweight now but to keep an eye on him

soberbyker likes this.
  11. Beau's mummy

Hi, the English Labs you’re referring to are show labs, the stocky kind, field labs or working labs are much leaner. Even the show type lab are not fat, that’s down to poor ownership and over feeding. I was almost put off owning a lab because all I ever saw were coffee tables on legs and thought that all labs were fat......until I found out about working lab.
    I’ve been told that rather than go by weight you have to go by sight, if your dog has a well defined waist from above and they slope up towards their back legs from their chest they should be healthy. As long as you can feel their ribs but not see them it’s fine.

12. Berna

Berna Registered Users

Cookie has been around 28kg all his life. He has less muscle tone now than when he was younger (he was really athletic) so he did gain some weight now. He is 11.7 years old.

The weight per se doesn't mean much, it depends on conformation, muscle tone etc, I'd go by the look and feel rather than the pounds.

Alfie and me and soberbyker like this.
  13. edzbird

edzbird Registered Users

Spot on!

soberbyker likes this.
  14. David

David Registered Users

29kg (64lbs) for Lady aged 8 years and 6 months (see avatar). She's small for a Lab. I haven't measured her recently but last time I did she was just meeting the UK KC conformity measurements. She's neutered so has a tendency to pile on the weight if I'm not careful. She gets about an hour and a half walk in the morning (around 3 miles) and maybe 45 minutes in the evening but she's getting reluctant to do that these days unless I take her in the car somewhere more interesting than locally. She works intermittently in the winter and gets reasonably fit. That's all gone by the end of summer, I'm afraid. She doesn't do well on warm days ie anything over 15C/65F.

drjs@5 and soberbyker like this.
  15. Master Bowie

Master Bowie Registered Users

Just came back from the vet yesterday for a checkup on Bowie's cruciate injury recovery and he's been given a clean bill of health yay!!! All the hardwork and rehab have paid off :D
    However he needs to lose weight hahahaha... :rofl: Bowie is 2 years old this March and he currently weighs (last check) 31kgs (or 68lbs). I did noticed he has gained a bit of weight so yeah... he needs to lose at least 2kgs (or 4.5lbs). On to the carrot sticks and vegies for snacks :cwl:

Alfie and me, drjs@5, CMartin and 2 others like this.
  16. Maxx's Mum

We had to take Maxx to the vet this morning as he has terrible diarrhoea. He's ok but just needs some medicine and to relax (good luck with that right?) and a diet of chicken and rice for a few days. But the vet weighed him and he is 19.8 kilos and he is only 17 weeks old! The vet said he isn't overweight but is going to be a big big boy. We're going to have to watch his weight carefully so that when he stops this mad growing he doesn't put on weight

CMartin and soberbyker like this.
  17. Master Bowie

Hope Maxx recovers from his diarrhoea. Does he have big paws? Though everyone said that Bowie's going to be a big boy when he's a pup because he's got big paws but it turned out he's actually quite small for a male labrador. He's more the tall and slim type (like the American lab).

soberbyker likes this.
  18. Maxx's Mum

He does have very big paws, but quite a slim, narrow face. I'll post a picture once I work out how! Bowie is a very lovely looking lab :)

soberbyker likes this.
  19. soberbyker

soberbyker Registered Users

Thanks for all the replies, it seems Zeke is a quite normal sized Lab among his peers here (I have to keep going to Google to translate the kg to lb).

Karen and SwampDonkey like this.
  20. Master Bowie

Sorry guys can't help posting this - Bowie with his puppychino (I know we've spoilt him :$) and his carrot sticks :cwl:

[​IMG]