So is raw feeding good for us - Food for Thought

Discussion in 'Labrador Health' started by Jojo83, Jan 12, 2018.

1. Jojo83

Jojo83 Registered Users

2. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

I can't comment on the facts, but I did raise an eyebrow that it mentioned Burns By Your Side banning raw-fed dogs. It's not as if Burns might have an agenda there, is it? ;)

All in all, I think it's a very poor article, as it doesn't have a comparison on how commonly the bacteria are present in raw meat for human consumption, nor how prevalent they are in kibbles - we all know that there have been cases of Salmonella being found in kibble. It simply says "they were found in RMBDs".

"RMBDs include raw dried dog and cat treats such as pig ears, home-prepared meats based from food sold for human consumption and commercial raw meats marketed for pets." (emphasis mine)
    So... we should avoid human food too, huh? :)

Also, the proof-reader needs a slap. Salmanella?

I'm not militant in either camp, but pieces of pseudo-journalism like this are just frustrating and don't do anyone any favours.

3. Jojo83

Jojo83 Registered Users

According to most articles on the internet, probably :)

As with most studies, they are lacking in some shape or form, in particular in comparisons with alternatives, and of course they can also be slanted depending upon who has funded the research. I just thought that it might be of some interest and perhaps make us think about the sources of our food, and that of our pets.

4. Karen

Karen Registered Users

I read the article and just kind of skimmed through it the first time I saw it as being one of those 'Raw Food is the Stuff of the Devil' articles - there are enough 'Kibble Will Kill Your Dog Stone Dead in 30 Days or Less' articles around too, mind you... I did notice that there was no reference to how much bacteria is present in kibble. And like Fiona, I had a snide giggle at Burns Pet Nutrition not allowing raw-fed dogs on their Reading Dogs programme - I mean, really??? Not having a go at you, Jojo, but I did think this was a pretty ridiculous article...

5. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

The study might have been absolutely fine, I've not read it. My gripe is simply with the reporting - I would expect better from the Telegraph :)

Jojo83 likes this.
  6. Jojo83

Jojo83 Registered Users

And from something as serious as The Telegraph :) .

7. Karen

Karen Registered Users

I mean, common sense would say - just Wash Your Hands...

snowbunny and Jojo83 like this.
  8. selina27

selina27 Registered Users

Very vague I think and non conclusive. Surely the worry should be that there are antibiotic resistant bacteria at all and the continuing over use that results in them being present in many places including some food.
    Yes I agree handwashing is necessary.

9. Stacia

Stacia Registered Users

I don't raw feed as I am scared of not providing a balanced diet. However, one of the local vets is very much against raw feeding as they have had cases of salmonella in raw fed dogs. I am neither for or against raw feeding.

10. Mjd7568

Mjd7568 Registered Users

My vet always used to comment on how clean my dogs teeth are, one day she asked what I feed them so I said mostly intact whole rabbits she looked shocked and told me I should feed proper dog food.
    This was as she was stood next to a large display of Science plan (proper dog food) might of been them who funded the report.

selina27 likes this.
  11. Berna

Berna Registered Users

Just a reminder, processed foods have also been found to contain salmonella.

I've been feeding raw for the last 5 years, never had an issue with bacteria. No household members and friends ever became sick from my dog licking them.

Karen and selina27 like this.
  12. Snowshoe

Snowshoe Registered Users

I skimmed through to the end to read the sources used for that information. No source list. It's nothing more than a blog by someone named "Bodkin" yet. Really, is he taking a poke at us?

I do understand banning raw fed dogs from contact with people in hospitals or children in a reading programme. It's probably mandated by those organizations' lawyers and insurance companies as part of a CYA policy.

I now feed Oban kibble, special Vet kibble for his disease. I wish we could go back to raw, he looked so good on raw. Shiny coat, sparkling teeth and he showed a definite preference for raw.

RE hand washing. Want me to tell you about a patient of my sister's (RN in a hospital) with a patient with E coli in his wound? There are some really dumb, sloppy, careless people out there.

Karen likes this.
  13. selina27

selina27 Registered Users

Puts me in mind of a conversation with one of the lovely young veterinary nurses about raw feeding, she told me that my dog is not a wolf and therefore would not know how to eat a whole rabbit. I did have to beg to differ on that occasion.:)

MF, drjs@5, snowbunny and 3 others like this.
  14. Stacia

Stacia Registered Users

I am afraid a couple of dogs have found dead rabbits and they are down their throats before I can say 'leave' :D

selina27, Karen and kateincornwall like this.
  15. Karen

Karen Registered Users

We have a Reading Dogs programme at the school I work at, there is no suggestion that raw fed dogs may not be part of the programme!

Although thinking about it, I may be the only person in the whole school who feeds their dog raw, and I am sure most of the teachers and administrators are not aware that dogs can even be fed anything other than commercial dog food... Not that my dogs are part of the programme (Poppy is too nervy, and Merlin too young), but I can just imaging the horrified reaction if I said they had been eating raw chicken, raw sardines and raw venison ribs that morning... :D

16. MF

MF Registered Users

I’m pleased to say my vet is quite happy with Snowie being raw fed.

Interestingly I meet more and more people whose dogs eat raw food. I’ve not heard any horror stories of illness of animal or human, thankfully!

Karen likes this.