so much PEEING!

Discussion in 'Labrador Training' started by tash12, Apr 16, 2018.

1. tash12

tash12 Registered Users

I'm sure this is in another forum but I'm reaching out due to total frustration. Our 13 week pup has been peeing a lot inside this last week. What is making us nuts is that he will go outside but then once inside we find little puddles here and there. He also pooped on the rug too! He doesn't give indication that he has to go (no whining or barking) although once in a while he will sit by the door. I just let him out often since I know his bladder is small still. Why is he doing this? This weekend alone he went in the house, in different spots, 7 times. We are just fed up. HELP!

2. SwampDonkey

SwampDonkey Registered Users

Have you checked to see if he has a uti?

3. Anomaly

Anomaly Registered Users

I was having the same problem. My pup is 17 weeks. The advice I got was to not let her go out on her own - no stripes yet. I went back to and continue to walk her out on the leash. Every time. it's not that much fun, but it does help. I was reminded that I'm in charge of when we play, rest, etc. This also gives you the ability to stay outside until the business is done. As a reward you could always play with the pup after for a bit to make sure all of the business is done. I had the UTI checked, but in my case she was fine. Remember - tiny bladders. I also pull the water late afternoon.

4. Xena Dog Princess

Xena Dog Princess Registered Users

Firstly, how are you cleaning the pee up indoors? With a proper enzymatic cleaner like Nature's Miracle or Simple Solution?

Secondly, how are you rewarding outdoor wees? With treats and lots of fusses and "good boys" etc?

Thirdly, how often are you taking your pup outside? If the bladder control isn't there yet then take pup outside every 20 minutes, and stretch it out from there. And like Anomaly said, go outside with your pup. If pup is easily distracted then go out on a lead and only let him off the lead once he's performed.

Snowy likes this.
  5. SwampDonkey

SwampDonkey Registered Users

What do you mean by "pull water?"

6. selina27

selina27 Registered Users

Does this mean removing water so the puppy has no access to it and therefore cannot have a drink?

SwampDonkey likes this.
  7. Boogie

Boogie Supporting Member Forum Supporter

They are widdle machines at this age - catching as many as possible and taking them out is good but there will always be accidents.

• Be sure you go out and stay out with him
    • Give praise and rewards when he’s ‘been’ outside
    • Take him out after food, drinks, sleep and play
    • Leave water down 24/7, lifting it makes no difference at all to potty training and can lead to kidney and bladder problems later on
    • Watch him like a hawk at all times for signs of needing to go - sniffing, circling etc
    • Don’t expect him to be fully house trained until about 6 months old, relax about it. This is a happy time, don’t let a few widdlers spoil it, all pups do it
    • For mopping up be sure to use an enzyme cleaner like Simple Solution - all other cleaners smell of wee to pups and encourage them to return to that spot
    • I find puppy pads great for cleaning up, I cut them in four and use them as mops

:)

drjs@5, SwampDonkey and selina27 like this.
  8. Anomaly

Anomaly Registered Users

That’s what I do, typically late afternoon. I make sure she has enough during the day but this allows us to sleep through the night.

9. Xena Dog Princess

Xena Dog Princess Registered Users

The earliest I've ever read to remove water is 8pm, late afternoon is far, far too early. That potentially leaves your dog without water for over 12 hours, that's not ok. Most pups are able to hold it overnight from quite a young age so there's honestly no point in removing water. If anything I'd just make sure that the bowl isn't very full so that they can't drink a massive amount right before bedtime.

Dawn_Treader likes this.
  10. Johnny Walker

Johnny Walker Registered Users

Dogs and puppies, especially, need constant access to water. Even more so a puppy prone to diarrhea. You should never “pull” their water. Pretty obvious really so I won’t get into why you don’t do it. Managing water intake to convene your sleep patterns is pretty much selfish and irresponsible, no reputable source would publish that. Denying access is
    not going to assist you in house training a puppy. House training a puppy is going to house train a puppy. Full nights sleep are a Luxury only afforded by few. Most will need three wee breaks during the night. Most successful members here in the forum set alarms to wake up and let their puppies out. Accidents can happen up to 6 months. Proper cleaning is important, controlling the behaviour outside until the business has been done as mentioned above is important. My boy would wee command from about 9weeks. We just got out of the car when we got home from the breeder and carried him to a spot on the lawn and stood there till he went. Then we carried him back to that spot for three days and started putting “go pee”on cue. Sometime on lead but mostly not.

Snowy, Karen and selina27 like this.
  11. Boogie

Boogie Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Leave water down 24/7 - it makes no difference whatever to their toiletting.

Dawn_Treader and selina27 like this.
  12. selina27

selina27 Registered Users

Not only does it not make any difference, it's potentially counter productive.

The fuller the bladder the stronger the message to the brain will be, if there is insufficient hydration the bladder is likely to become "irritable" and send more frequent, weaker messages, leading to increased need to pass small amounts of urine and higher risk of UTI's.

Housetraining does seem to take forever, I've had enough puppies to know that they all get there in the end, but it still felt like an eternity with Cassie! It's really a question of neurological development and their world expanding as they mature -- they don't want to wee and poo where they live!

13. Dawn_Treader

Dawn_Treader Registered Users

I took my dog out on a leash for a little walk every 3 hours without fail. I hung a bell on the door handle and I rewarded her and praised her when she had a wee. With time she just nudged the bell to let me know when she needed to go. Be patient, it will pass. Agree with above, do not remove her water or scold her. It belongs to having a dog.