So the problem is me...

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by RMBIII, May 17, 2018.

1. RMBIII

RMBIII Registered Users

Hello again all. I have written about my now almost 8 month old black lab Holly. She is a very nice but extremely high energy pup. (She was spayed 2 weeks ago, and nobody told her that she needed to remain calm). Here is my conundrum. For my wife (who is home during the day much more often than me), Holly is a well behaved little angel. For me (especially when I get home from work, but even on the weekend) so is so happy to have me around she is a complete nut. Nippy at me, barking, mounting my leg on occasion (and only my leg does she mount). I love that the little pup likes me, but boy what I would give for her to be less excited that I am around.

Any words of advice? I try to distract her with training and exercise, but she is just so happy to have me around she loses it. There are probably worse problems to have. ;)

2. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

Have you tried just ignoring her?
    Don't pay any attention to her at all when you get home, turn your back until she has 4 paws on the floor.
    Make sure play is when you want it, not when she decides?

Emily_BabbelHund likes this.
  3. Candy

Candy Registered Users

It sounds like you're such a novelty to your little sweetheart. She's so excited and pleased to see you! This is lovely, but can be quite overwhelming. I would reward being calm, or sit, stay, or down stay massively. Eight months is still very young and wouldn't it be sad if they stopped being pleased to see us?!

edzbird likes this.