Socializing a Lab

Discussion in 'Labrador Training' started by melmel13, Oct 23, 2016.

1. melmel13

melmel13 Registered Users

Hi everyone,
    I am rehoming a 2 year old lab that has not has much socialization. He has pretty much grown up with his mom, dad, and sibling from a different litter. When I first met him he was very shy and barked a lot. I stayed with him for about a half hour and by the time I left he was much calmer and his tail was at a non-stop wag.

I'm looking for some advice on when I bring him home how to make the transition easiest for him (i.e.- not barking at people coming over). My goal is to get him comfortable at home first and then branch out to other dogs and people. I plan on doing an obedience class with him as well but not right away.

Any and all information is greatly appreciated.
    -Melissa

2. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

Hi Melissa,
    well done for rehoming. And welcome to the forum,
    I don't have any experience of this myself, but I would reckon small steps is the way forward with him.
    I would want to know he is well settled in your home and has a safe place to go. Somewhere to go if things become a bit too scary.
    Are you planning on using a crate for him? Or an alternative area that is a bit "cave-like" that he can retreat too if needed?
    I think if you can train a default response to people coming in or doorbells ringing, that may help. So, maybe train him to go to his "bed" or crate on cue?
    Have you had a look on the main site for resources at all?
    jac

3. Dexter

Dexter Moderator Forum Supporter

Hi Melissa,

Sounds like he is a very lucky boy to be coming home to live with you.
    We have Dexter and he is our first dog so I haven't got any experience of settling in an older dog.
    I agree with Jacqui,I think patience and small steps is the approach you will need.I think establishing a very regular routine to the day would help you too, consistency would help his confidence if he's a little shy ?
    My dog was anxious about visitors coming in when he was younger ,his barking was alert barking rather than excited 'pleased to see you ' barking so I taught him to go to his room for a treat when the doorbell rings.his room is the utility room separated from the kitchen by a child gate.He's 4 now and a lot better but he's still straight into his room as soon as he hears the bell,even in the deepest sleep he jumps up and runs there.This took a lot of practice with helpers,my friend and sister would ring the doorbell and I'd take Dexter to his room and treat him.He didn't come out until,he stopped barking and was calmer,if I opened the child gate that separates his area from the rest of the house and he started up again,he got put back in again and we'd try again ...
    I'd invest in Pippa's Happy Labrador Book ,I'm not at home at the moment to check my cope but I'm sure there is a section on rescue and there will be a lot of excellent advice in one place for you .I know he's nearly 2 ( what is his name?) and I'm not sure what previous experience you have with dogs but I'd also have a look at the Happy Puppy Handbook,that could give you some good ideas for establishing routines ,there will,probably be a few things that you will want to start over again with as if you were raising a puppy.
    The very best of luck ,please let us know how you get on,when does he come home to you?

4. melmel13

Thank you so much for the advice. I have experience with puppies and dogs just not labs. I'll check out the books you mentioned just to get more familiar with the breed.

Im really hoping with time and patience "Finn" can become a great social dog because other then him being a pretty shy/barking with newcomers kind of dog, he is very gentle. I hope all goes well because I'm very excited to get him. I will keep posting on our progress. Thanks again.
    Melissa

5. melmel13

Hi Thank you for all the advice. I may have to start with something like that when we get home so that he's not barking and afraid when new people come to the house. He needs work and I hope i can help this pup out because his siblings are awesome dogs (a couple of them belong to friends of ours).

I do plan on crating him. He has used a crate at his current home, just not sure how much. I think there's going to be a lot of learning for both of us once he gets here.
    Thank you again
    -Melissa

drjs@5 likes this.