(Some) Stupid Nasty Neutered Male Dogs (lots are lovely too :-) )

Discussion in 'Labrador Behavior' started by Snowshoe, Dec 2, 2015.

1. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

I think Snowshoe , that I interpreted the reference as ......
    • The risk of prostate cancer is very, very low in intact and castrated dogs
    • castration does not increase this risk
    • castrated dogs have a higher risk of developing aggressive metastatic disease compared to intact
    • The prognosis for prostate cancer is pretty poor in any dog with this diagnosis
    Therefore.....I probably wouldn't rate prostate cancer risk in my calculations as to whether I would castrate or not.

Now folks, this is MY interpretation, best to discuss with your vet as has been already said if it is a particular concern for you. Your vet may not of course know this off the top of his or head so might have to look up the details. During my journeyings with dog owners I have never heard this discussed outside of this forum. Not sure what is discussed as part of the consent process for the snip. I am pretty sure mammary cancer and pyometra weren't discussed with me when booking a spay appointment.

2. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Yes, I should have noted this important nuance too.... the risk of prostate cancer itself is not increased by desexing, but, once prostate cancer starts to develop, in desexed dogs it's more likely to spread to other organs.

When I got my first dog desexed in 1999 I remember that my vet told me that if he was left entire it was almost certain that he'd develop an enlarged prostate. I had no idea what that meant exactly (and nor did I ask...) but it sounded scary (which was the vet's plan I think...). You'd hope that vets these days would be able to have a detailed discussion about the ins and outs of it all, so people feel informed and hopefully not too confused.....probably a tricky balance to strike.

3. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

It is tricky.
    Its the "you do accept there is a small chance of death from anaesthetic when I knock you out for this minor operation"
    Consent is a can of worms.