Sophie

Discussion in 'Introductions & Saying Hello' started by Wrightlabs, Oct 15, 2012.

1. David

David Registered Users

Re: Sophie

Hi Karen. read this with absolute horror this morning but was late for an outing so I've only just got to replying. Appalling fails to describe the whole thing. Hope Sophie recovers of course. I think she'll have lost a bit of confidence though so you may have to work on that. Lady sends her love to Sofie.

2. Karen

Karen Registered Users

Oh Karen, so sorry to hear this, especially as the very same thing happened to me years ago, with my old dog Billy, also about 10 months old, attacked by a pit bull. I was screaming and crying, while my dog was being choked to death in front of my eyes. The hooligan who owned this dog looked coolly at me and said, Somwhat are you going to do now?? Eventually he got a metal bar out of his pocket, and praised his dog's jaws apart. He said to me "you'll never mess with us again, will you?" This was in a public park. Billy was only saved because he had a big leather collar on, and the dog just throttled him instead of ripping his throat open. It was an absolutely horrific experience that I will never forget. I reported it, but the man was never caught. Luckily billy was a kind and gentle dog - and he did get over it.

Still, I don't blame the breed so much, as the irresponsible owners who use them as status symbols and weapons. Do hope Sophie is ok now.

3. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

That's awful! I am so glad I have never been in that situation - so scary.
    As traumatic for owner as dog though. :(
    Hope you are both ok.

Jacqui

4. Sharon

Sharon Registered Users

What happened to poor little Sophie and Billy is horrific and very frightening for both dog and owner. I hope Sophie recovers soon, such a sweet little thing. My understanding is that dog bites often get infected so don't worry; glad you are going to the vet to get her checked over. I agree with the others that it is really important to get the incident recorded and hopefully it will be acted upon. All the best.

5. Wrightlabs

Wrightlabs Registered Users

Came back from the vet. I didn't realize Sophie's 2 puncture wounds were oozing that much until the vet shaved the 2 areas to have a better look. So for a couple of days we'll have to drain the 2 bites, eventually it'll stop oozing and she's now on antibiotics for a week.

6. bbrown

bbrown Moderator Forum Supporter

Appalling experience for you both, sending healing vibes to Sophie.

I hope you find somewhere lovely to take your dogs, where you can all relax and they can play in peace.

All the best,
    Barbara

7. Wrightlabs

[quote author=Karen link=topic=808.msg5022#msg5022 date=1353780619]
    Oh Karen, so sorry to hear this, especially as the very same thing happened to me years ago, with my old dog Billy, also about 10 months old, attacked by a pit bull. I was screaming and crying, while my dog was being choked to death in front of my eyes. The hooligan who owned this dog looked coolly at me and said, Somwhat are you going to do now?? Eventually he got a metal bar out of his pocket, and praised his dog's jaws apart. He said to me "you'll never mess with us again, will you?" This was in a public park. Billy was only saved because he had a big leather collar on, and the dog just throttled him instead of ripping his throat open. It was an absolutely horrific experience that I will never forget. I reported it, but the man was never caught. Luckily billy was a kind and gentle dog - and he did get over it.

Still, I don't blame the breed so much, as the irresponsible owners who use them as status symbols and weapons. Do hope Sophie is ok now.
    [/quote]

Glad to hear your Billy recovered from his ordeal and luckily he had that big leather collar on. I was lucky that Sophie didn't have any injuries to her neck area as I usually take her collar off once I get to the Park. I agree with you about irresponsible dog owners, but I do blame the breed as well. That breed is only good for one thing "fighting" till the end; instinct. I don't care how much love you can give that breed, but it's in there genes, they'll just snap for no reason. Whenever you hear about a vicious dog attack, the majority of the time guess what breed - PB.
    Thanks for your post,
    Karen

8. charlie

charlie Registered Users

Hi Karen, How is Sophie today? we have been thinking about her and you. Take care. Helen

9. Wrightlabs

[quote author=charlie link=topic=808.msg5058#msg5058 date=1353863525]
    Hi Karen, How is Sophie today? we have been thinking about her and you. Take care. Helen
    [/quote]

Thanks for thinking about us. Sophie is her happy self, playing with her stuffies, etc.
    The bite puncture on her hip is still oozing fluid. Not so much blood like yesterday. Today is more watered down.
    Every 1/2 hour or so, we see it start to ooze, so we apply a bit of pressure to relieve the pocket muscle of fluid. The vet said eventually it'll stop.
    So she's taking her antibiotics great. 2 capsules in the evening and 1 in the morning (12 hours apart.)
    Thanks again for your post.
    You take care as well, :)
    Karen

10. kateincornwall

kateincornwall Registered Users

Sorry I missed this Karen and hoping that by now, your lovely girl is over this horrendous ordeal .

11. Wrightlabs

Thanks everyone! Sophie seems to be better today; no fluid draining now from her bite. I took her for a walk (not the dog park) this morning, met a couple owners, their dogs and Sophie wanted to go up and say hi as usual, tail wagging like crazy.
    I think because she's still young that ordeal with the 2 Pitbulls didn't bother, just scared her. I'm glad she's not afraid of other dogs now.
    4 more sleeps and we bring home our little Golden Girl for Sophie and the rest of the family. :)

12. pippa@labforumHQ

pippa@labforumHQ Administrator

Great news! :D :D

13. Wrightlabs

Sophie's puncture bite is not oozing anymore and is starting to close up. She had her last basic obedience class yesterday and came in 1st. Having all those dogs there last night didn't bother her at all. She was her happy self. I think this ordeal scared her more than hurt her.
    When you have time take a look at this link. Another pitbull attack, this time on horses.
    So often when you hear of dog attacks, the majority of them are pitbulls. That's one breed I have never trusted and never will. Even as puppies they're not cute. There fighting/killing instinct is bred into them. Just like border collies get into there herding postion on the ground, Pointers standing still and pointing, etc. They're not trained to do this, they do it instinctively. I'm just stating my opinion.
    The best breed anyone can have are Labs and Goldens.
    Thanks again for commenting about Sophie. :)

Karen

I hope this link works!

http://www.cowichannewsleader.com/n...072084_1119612_280633945373087#fb0a4905631b1a

14. charlie

charlie Registered Users

Hi, just wondering how Sophie is after the attack. Also how the new addition is settling in? Hope all is well. Helen x

15. Wrightlabs

[quote author=charlie link=topic=808.msg5543#msg5543 date=1354906384]
    Hi, just wondering how Sophie is after the attack. Also how the new addition is settling in? Hope all is well. Helen x
    [/quote]

Sophie is doing just fine. Her bite is healing and she's not afraid of other dogs. I think the incident just shocked her more than anything.
    It was very nice of you to ask how Sophie is doing.
    Our little golden girl Molly is doing great. On Saturday Dec. 10th she will be 10 weeks old. Shes already ringing the string of bells on the door to go outside. Only has had a couple of accidents.
    Sophie and her get along pretty good. At times Sophie is physically aggressive, so she needs to be disciplined for that. She forgets at times how much bigger she is than Molly.

Thanks again for asking about Sophie; it was very thoughtful and much appreciated.

Some pictures of Sophies little sister Molly. :)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

16. pippa@labforumHQ

pippa@labforumHQ Administrator

Very very sweet! :D

17. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

Gorgeous!
    Its pictures like these that make me want to give in to my daughters pleas for a second dog :-\
    Such a wee cutie!

Jacqui

18. Karen

Karen Registered Users

AAAAAWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!!!!!! How lovely!!!!!

19. charlie

charlie Registered Users

Oh what a beauty :)

So glad Sophie has recovered with no lasting effects. Helen & Charlie x

20. Wrightlabs

Hope you and your Labs got spoiled at Christmas; Sophie sure did. I'm so happy as she has fully recovered from her bite punctures.
    Here's pictures of Sophie and little sister Molly. :)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]