Sore/itchy area on wrist

Discussion in 'Labrador Health' started by Tomal, Jan 10, 2016.

1. Tomal

Tomal Registered Users

For the last few days Max has been licking his left wrist on and off during the day. He has now managed to lick most of the fur off a patch that is probably the size of a 20p coin. The skin doesn't look red but is possibly a bit bumpy so I'm guessing he has had a reaction to something. We did several walks in a forest last week so it could have been caused by anything really. Are there any home remedies I can try or should I just take him to the vet? Would like to avoid a large bill if possible! I'm stopping him licking it whenever I see him but I can't supervise him at all times.

2. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Hello there,

It's always worth going to the vet - including that, in the long run, to do so saves you money. Because the time you don't, and it turns out to be serious, or even not serious but gets a lot worse without treatment, will cost you stacks more money to put things right if you if you leave it.

So, yes, I'd say take Max to the vet. If he is licking it so much he has removed the fur, it's clearly something that is bothering him - and it's not possible to say what it might be. It might be nothing, or something - there are lots of minor things it could be, and some very major things it could be.

In the meantime, stop him licking it and keep it clean. Hibiscrub or similar for cleaning, and a cone or similar for the not licking.

Best of luck with it, let us know how you get on.

3. Tomal

Tomal Registered Users

Thank you Julie, we're off to see the vet later today.

4. Karen

Karen Registered Users

Definitely the vet - I don't know where you are, but there have been reports of Alabama Rot for instance. It's bound not to be that, but personally I am one to take an additional, unnecessary trip to the vet, rather than regret afterwards not having gone in time.

5. Stacia

Stacia Registered Users

Yes, vet, definitely! Always better to know what you are dealing with and have professional opinion and treatment.